360 degree video

Just happened to notice this.

I had seen it in a law enforcement newsletter maybe a month ago.

I know there has been some discussion on the matter.

========

"Rolling Camera Eyeballs Danger" Wired News (04/29/05); Christopher, Abby

More than 20 law enforcement agencies are testing a device known as the Eye Ball, a hardy baseball-sized spherical camera that can be thrown into potentially dangerous areas where, via wireless remote control, the device can provide police or soldiers with a 360-degree view of the surrounding area. The Eye Ball is envisioned as a useful tool in situations where suspects are hiding inside a building, hostages are being held, or explosives have been planted. "The Eye Ball provides safety by providing law enforcement and military personnel with higher degrees of visibility and insight," says Asher Gendelman, with Remington Technologies, which will manufacture the cameras. Officers can attach the devices to ropes or poles in order to dangle them in stairwells and other potentially dangerous areas, and the devices can even be moved around on small wireless cars like the kind that are commonly sold at electronics retail stores. The device is especially useful in potentially dangerous areas that policemen enter without knowing where suspects are hiding, such as basements, parking garages, attics, and crawl spaces, says San Diego police officer Ron Cottingham. Assuming that the Eye Ball receives approval from regulators, Remington intends to introduce the devices later this year, at a price of about $1,500. The company will target the device at government agencies such as the Defense Department, federal and local police departments, search-and-rescue teams, firefighters, and emergency medical technicians. The Eye Ball has video and audio features that can be saved to DVD or tape to be used as evidence; the camera has a battery life of three hours, and can complete four camera rotations in a minute.

formatting link

======

Steve

********************************************************************* Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA) Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip mailto: snipped-for-privacy@swssec.com website
formatting link
+1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190 "In God we trust, all others we monitor" RIP Ken KE3I, SK 10/30/04. Rest easy, my good friend *********************************************************************
Reply to
Steve Uhrig
Loading thread data ...

I am still mad about the tunnel-camera-thing-a-ma-bob "patent"! Can I patent my toe nail with a camera attached?

z

Reply to
z

I hope to entertain as well as enlighten with my angry sarcasm.

6837185 Religious Meditation Apparatus A bird feeder shaped like a church, so that you can watch the birds as you pray.

I guess anything goes... at the US patent department! I'll have to claim pror art practice to this one too!

Reply to
z

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.