1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

Yeah, thats the one I mentioned in a previous post.

The main downside with that is that its not as flexible, I am to a considerable extent locked into what they choose to do with the firmware.

Completely trivial to use from VBA tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed
Loading thread data ...

I don't know if these folks export but here's the info.

Phone Number: (615) 264-1414 Fax Number: (615) 264-1514 Mailing Address

DeCorp Americas P.O. Box 1173 Hendersonville, TN 37077-1173

formatting link
Hope that helps.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No biggy if they dont, I can order it indirectly, US shipping address for them.

Yes it does, thanks for that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You mean the part where the guy with the Doctorate and years of experience is doing something that *you* don't understand? Like I said, either buy a solution or build one. Since there doesn't seem to be one to buy that meets your requirements, and you don't seem to be able to build one, you might have to adjust your requirements.

Reply to
Byron Hynes

I suppose that's not impressive to someone that's a internet personality themselves. :-0

I've done a lot of requirements analyses in my life. It's always been incredible to me how wildly systems requirements morph as the design evolves. Unfortunately, it's often not in a good way! Usenet at times reflects the worst part of the process by inducing the "Telephone Game" effect in a very predictable way. As soon as someone makes a twist, everyone else twists that way. If we're talking flying red ducks and someone says flying red chickens, suddenly, there's lots of chicken talk. It immediately puts the OP in a contentious posture. He has to say, forcefully, I don't LIKE chicken (for whatever reason).

Now we're drifting from the OP's initial requirements in two directions. One along the lines of chickens and not ducks and the other about why the OP would even WANT to do whatever it is he wants to do. Neither have much to do with flying red ducks.

If it's a bad thing, you can issue the standard warnings (don't tie neutrals to ground, don't run LV parallel to HV wiring, etc) and let it lie. A 'good' example of a 'good' thing was a short while back when I asked about text on TV for my Dad. I received a number of very good suggestions to implement exactly what I had in mind. I also got some posts with some excellent alternatives to my entire design. Lewis G's comments about how he solved a similar problem, as well as the great input from Dave, Bill, you, BF and a few others caused me to completely change course and implement a different solution. That was based on confronting the cost, complexity and effectiveness of my initial solution compared to what evolved.

That's what truly great about CHA and Usenet. It offers other perspectives. On the other hand, I think a lot of that was going on in this thread was the old "phone game" where a kid whispers something to the next kid in line so that when you get to the end "Flying Red Duck" becomes "Crying Dred Locks" or something like it.

It seemed pretty clear to me that USB was the only viable option for RS. I'll have to look again to see why I felt this was an "accept no substitutes" item with the OP but I did feel that very strongly. Of course, I had the benefit of knowing about the OP from somewhere else, so I assumed that he knew what he wanted from the get go.

I've maintained large BBS's using slave cards (entire PC's on single ISA cards) and banks of modems. I know this sort of HW and SW more intimately than I ever wanted to know. The further away you step from the industry standards, the more collateral problems you're going to face. I think the OP knows this on a deeply personal level.

No argument there. I would expect, though, that Rod wants a solution that he can hook up in ten seconds or less. :-) Once you require a special card in a PC you've gone from the 10 second swap to the 10 minute one. And if the swap card blows, it could be 10 days. And if the manufacturer is out of business it might take 10 weeks to find another card or implement a replacement solution.

And it's something he's confirmed repeatedly. For example, I used to use the RAID HW that came with most new motherboards until one profound failure taught me that it's far better to have a RAID PCI card that you can take with your drive array to a new PC and restore it from there. Why? Because motherboard based RAID often requires an exactly identical motherboard to read the array correctly. A blown RAID chip on a three-year old server can quickly become a panic hunt for an identical motherboard on Ebay. A $20 RAID card means I can take the array to any other machine to restore it. It also means I can afford to buy a spare (the MB's cost $150+ so it's not practical to keep entire motherboards in reserve).

Again, we're drifting from the OP's topic because it's just so easy to do. :-) But the point is made that less complicated means easier to repair or replace. I got the very strong feeling Rod wanted less complicated.

Now convince my wife! She doesn't understand my love for my old Compaq SLT286 that's about 20 years old and still runs my Ratshack PC multimeter software just fine.

If I bought new cars at the rate I build PC's I'd need a used car lot.

I know what you were trying to say. I just wanted to point out that criticizing someone, no matter how gently, for not being able to do something you can't do yourself is never going to come off sincerely, I'm afraid. That's at least my NSHO.

I'm perserverating ah, um _perseverating_ (damn if that word doesn't want to come out of my fingers wrong every time I try typing it!) again.

Agreed. That's why I try, whenever possible, to try to lock it down before it becomes an overwhelming issue.

See? I hate pulling cable and love solving PC HW problems. Different strokes. I just wanted to point out that RS was probably equally determined to stick to his SW choice as he was his USB choice.

I was just being sarcastic. Most people respond to posts for some personal reason. Whether it's to share knowledge, bust chops or get "attaboys" there's always a personal element to a response.

Unless there's

That's true and it can be both good and bad (is there an echo in here?).

The good part is that you get lots of brainstorming and get to look at ideas you may not have considered. The bad part is that the thread can wander so far away from the original post that the replies are basically worthless. The pile-on effect from discussion of frying red chickens may have some value, but in the long run, it's probably a good idea to answer the original questions somewhere during the meander. Say, how did we get here from "1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly?" :-)

It's not bad as long as it doesn't become contentious and people start talking past each other and everyone starts slipping on all the umbrage that's spilled everywhere.

I just wanted to make the point that we're talking to someone from another country, so our assumptions about Aussie "telco cords" could be way off base (as it seems). Pushing the issue can really be read as calling the OP stupid. I know it's not your intent, but we know what they've paved the road to Hell with. It's a balancing act, I agree. I should have said: "Gee, Rod, here in the Americas the telco cable with RJ11 is unsolderable. No amount of tinning or unwrapping the copper from the other fibers gives a good solder joint. What's different about your telco cord?"

American experience, anyway.

Apparently, it's not an issue for the cables he intends to use. To me, it's just another part of the learning experience of Usenet. The telco cords I've worked with were remarkably unsolderable. They also would break the seal on the freezer door, so ours must be different from his. The difference could easily be the lack of insulating fibers that probably make our cords thicker and sturdier but harder to solder.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

More like "infamous" internet personality

Nice way of saying rlb's full of shit. something certain visitors from another newsgroup we all know have found out. :^)

Reply to
Cam

Why not tell them to stuff electrical cabinets with paper like you did in another newsgroup we all know about just before you flooded the GROUP with millions of KB of nonsense.

Reply to
Cam

Byron Hynes wrote

Nope, no such animal. I understand it fine thank, and you dont even know what qualifications I have. And I have likely been doing it for longer than Pete has too.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist eejuts ?

The other obvious alternative is to buy what is pretty close to what I need, and make a few changes to the 1-wire side IF THAT IS ACTUALLY NECESSARY.

We dont know that yet. Until someone actually trys it, we dont know for sure whether a commercial USB/1-Wire converter/adapter will do the job or not. It looks rather like it will work fine and isnt really possible to know for sure since hardly anyone actually provides a full schematic for their commercial USB/1-Wire converter/adapter and

1-wire isnt that rigorously specified in that particular situation in the datasheets. Since strings of 1820 clearly work fine for Pete, it looks very like they will work fine in that config too, with a different 1-wire bus master, particularly as I dont need hundreds of feet of 1-wire bus.

Best get your seems machinery seen too. I am quite capable of building one, have designed and built MUCH more complicated stuff than that in the past. I just prefer to not reinvent the wheel if that isnt necessary and was essentially asking if someone had already tried what I am considering.

It appears that no one in here has, so it makes considerable sense to do the strings the way Pete does them, try a commercial USB/1-Wire converter/adapter, modify the 1-wire side if it doesnt work fine, and if it turns out to not be practical for some reason, use one of Pete's USB flavours of what drives that and wear the fact that its got some real downsides on the packaging and command capability side.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist eejuts ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

I wouldn't know. I don't personally know any "Internet personalities."

If the OP (we're talking in general now; not specific people please) happens to be contentious, yes. It's always the poster's choice how to reply. You don't

*make* me angry but I might *choose* to become angry.

He doesn't *have to* do anything. He can simply say, "Gee, thanks but that's not what I'm after because...." or he can use the "F" word as you suggested.

Better yet, we can develop a meta thread discussing how one might handle questions about flying red ducks. :^)

This is kind of funny in our case. Last year I decided to replace one of our cars in the US. I bought a new Camry. Shortly afterward, we decided to get a car for use in Brazil (new Fiat Adventure). When we got home my Chevy conversion van started giving me trouble so I bought a new Odyssey van. Back in Brazil again -- got tired of being stuck in the house whenever my wife goes out, I bought a Yamaha motor scooter. That's three new cars and a new bike in one year (I think that's a record for me). We only bought three PC's (one desktop and two laptops) this year so the cars are ahead. :^)

Now who's not listening?

Sarcasm can sometimes be witty and funny, especially if the other person can see the wry smile on your face. Unfortunately, in Usenet that's not possible so it usually just sounds provocative.

I respond to posts in CHA for two reasons. Primarily, I enjoy the conversation and the occasional opportunity to help someone. Second, I make a living selling hardware online to people with HA and security projects.

Depends on your perspective. Realize that no one *owns* a thread. As the discussion continues, information is shared about the original topic and many related areas. Sometimes you learn something important about a totally unrelated issue while following a thread about flying red ducks.

Again, that's the personal choice of each participant. If you say you think I'm an idiot but you need information on some subject I have at least three options. I can ignore your post completely. I can respond with disparaging comments about your mother's use of military footwear or I can simply answer your question. Most of the time I choose the third option. My attitude is I'm not here for you nor you for me. I'm just here and so are you.

Did you mention that earlier? I must have missed it.

Uh, no. Explaining the difficulties associated with a particular type of cable is not read as calling the OP stupid. Insisting that it is might be a good way to incite anger where none was intended though.

Well, yes. I'm American. Presumably most people realize that from the idiom.

Or the seal on his door is different. I mentioned flat cable which definitely will not break the seal on the door. Whether that stuff makes it into his project will be something he decides. What he got was information. Hopefully, some of it was useful. He sounds like a big boy. I'm sure he can sort things out.

Actually, they're not part of the insulation. The fibers are nylon which has a greater tensile strength than the paper thin, extremely flexible conductors. The fibers also stretch less than the insulation material. If they didn't the wires would break when the cord was pulled tightly.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's probably because I am dumb and can't address the technical issues as well as others. That leaves me more time to re-read the project specs. It also frees me from thinking along the lines of traditional solutions to the problem, which in this case, seem mostly to be serial port-based.

Yep. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

What's that old AI joke? "Yesterday I did not know what an expert system was. Today I are one!" You is one, Bob. Anyone who's got an army of harpies ready to gnaw at their liver at the mere mention of their name qualifies you. FO seems to nominate you as the Greatest Usenet Villian that Ever Lived on at least a weekly basis.

I viewed RS's visit as I would a visit of a traveling minstrel. There's a lot of amusement value to be had from watching people's reactions to him. He elicits strong responses everywhere he goes.

I was actually related some of my own experience in other groups when I asked similar questions. Instead of asking why I was so insistent on what I wanted, I got reams of drivel about why on earth I would ever want to do what I wanted to do. I found it exasperating and was sorely tempted to react as Rod does.

Touche. But whatever spin you want to put on it, there's the very likely possibility that the OP will see you as disingenuine when you suggest he go out a learn a new technique or skill to solve his problem, especially when it's a skill you don't possess.

That's why I view RS in the same mode as "shock jock" or one of the standup insult comics. If you don't take it for its amusement value, you'll blow a blood vessel. Life it too short!

Very true. But sometimes a meandering thread can be hell's bells for the OP because there's a lot of discussion going on, but it's not very helpful. When that's happened to me, I've felt slighted. YMMV.

I have a slightly different view. In most NG's I visit there are at least 3 or 4 (if not twenty or more) hot button issues and an equal number of long-standing feuds. Here, one reliable "hot button thread" is the "Is X-10 dead?" one. I leave it to you to work out the ongoing feuds. All of those personal issues really distort who posts and why they post.

I used the words "Oz" and "Ozian" to indicate he was from Australia. While most ockers get it, we seppos often do not. And no, they don't call us "seppos" because of our famous Zippo lighters or because of the Marx Brothers.

I guess the point was after the sixth or seventh admonition that satin cable doesn't solder, it gets old. Lots of people post answers before reading the day's posts and don't realize they are posting yet another answer that's already been marked "wrong" by the OP.

It's never a sure thing these days. Lots of foreigners speak and write better English than many Americans.

I am sure he can.

You're correct. The cords I have seen are copper twisted around a fiber substrate and surrounded by it as well. Clearly meant to enhance their survivial as free-floating and often tugged on cords.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Please don't make the mistake of defining me by what FO says about me or even by the fact that he says anything at all.

I'm obviously a much simpler man than you. I saw him as someone looking for answers to some questions preparatory to engaging in an HA-related project. I noticed that some folks responded to him in a less-than-complimentary fashion. That's their choice and it's between them and him. As Crocodile Dundee said about nuclear standoffs or some such matter, "none of my business."

Not having read those threads I can't assess the value of the responses you received. However, none of the suggestions put forth here were drivel. Some were taken and others were discarded. That's kind of normal, don't you think?

Are we speaking of the same Rod? His replies here seemed reasonable. His response to personal criticism are a different matter, but I don't fault him for that. In fact, the only post that bordered on the vernacular was yours.

I think you meant disingenuous. Reading his reply it seems the gentleman accepted my comments on face value, took what was useful to him and discarded the rest.

I guess we have different impressions of the gentleman. I didn't think he came here trying to make anyone laugh or to shock anyone.

Do you figure this meta-thread is helping him?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That last bit is a bit of a "stretch" there, don't you think? :-)

Robert Bass responded with:

I find this statement particularly amusing since the both of you often go out of your way to suggest that people define "me" by what *you* say.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Not sure why my fingers wrote the last sentence. The 4.7k resistors are pullups to V+ (from the output to 5vdc).

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Reply to
b_weijenberg

another approach:

formatting link
If you install an USB RFXCOM receiver then you can also use the wireless RFXSensor Type-3 unit to connect up to 7 external wired DS18B20 or DS2438 sensors. And a receiver can receive up to 8 RFXSensor units

Reply to
b_weijenberg

another approach:

formatting link
If you install an USB RFXCOM receiver then you can also use the wireless RFXSensor Type-3 unit to connect up to 7 external wired DS18B20 or DS2438 sensors. And a receiver can receive up to 8 RFXSensor

units

Reply to
b_weijenberg

another approach:

formatting link
If you install an USB RFXCOM receiver then you can also use the wireless RFXSensor Type-3 unit to connect up to 7 external wired DS18B20 or DS2438 sensors. And a receiver can receive up to 8 RFXSensor

units

Reply to
b_weijenberg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.