Unsolicited ARP replies from router

From my firewall log I can see that my router sometimes sends unsolicited ARP replies to my PC. The packets always occur in pairs (both at the exact same time). My firewall has a feature to block unsolicited ARP replies, and I have it enabled. Anyone know why the router is sending me those packets, and is it OK to block them, or should I allow them? Thanks!

Reply to
delerious
Loading thread data ...

the first one: keep-alive check the second one: because you didn't answer the first one, assuming packet loss

Eh, why exactly should you mistrust your router?

And damn, please set a Follow-Up next time1

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

This is sent as an ARP REPLY?

Wouldn't the second one be sent at least a few seconds later than the first one? But the second one is sent at the exact same time (the same second) as the first one.

Unsolicited ARP replies can be used for attacks, right? I think that's why my firewall has the option to block them. If I can block the ones being sent by my router without any problems, then I think I will continue to do that. So it is OK to block them?

Wouldn't the other newsgroups be interested in seeing the follow-ups?

Reply to
delerious

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.