The machine died and came back

I was in the middle of some program development work in the .Net IDE. I wanted to go to Explorer off the Start Button and the new company Dell Latitude D600 laptrop running Win 2K locked up.

So, I power down the laptop and power it back on and it goes through the BIOS thing and just sits and comes back with a message indicating *Hard disk read error Press F1 to try reboot or F2 to go into setup. I did the retry a couple of times and powering up and down with no success in booting to Win 2k. Finally, I went into the BIOS set-up to change the boot sequence and try to boot from the Ultimate Boot CD. For some reason I don't know why, it was able to boot from the HDD and to Win 2K and I never switched the boot sequence after I came out of the BIOS setup.

It made no sense as to how the machine started doing what it did and how it was able to recover itself.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
Loading thread data ...

Duane Arnold wrote in news:Xns95A0D493441D4notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17:

Oops, this was posted to the wrong NG. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Laptops have removable Hard Drives, removable CD/DVD Drives, etc... Try making sure your disks are seated properly, or that you should reseat them. .Net has nothing to do with it.

The D600 has a cheap case, and is somewhat fragile, make sure that everything is reseated firmly, rub the top of the case and say "ahhhhhhm, ahhhhhhm, ahhhhhhhm, zoooogggggggg" and then reboot it : )

Reply to
Leythos

LOL

The piece of crap was just sitting there when it happened. I could understand a little trouble if I slammed the thing into the wall and tried to boot! I can hardly get a pencil out of this cheap cheap cheap and I'll repeat it CHEAP billon dollar company let alone a good computer. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.