The Classical Hour

Wrong, every major vendor povides that option - Sonic, WatchGuard, etc...

Reply to
Leythos
Loading thread data ...

But you would sill have to buy a third-party appliacation, such as Bess, SurfControl, or WebWasher, that have been ported to run on those appliances.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Well, we are here in Poland, schedule to begin broadcasting the European championships, in just a few hours. This will make the 6th year in a row of broadcasting the European championships. People in European workplaces tune into our online coverage, becuase we go to every length humanly possible to ensure that figure skating fans (and there are a LOT more of them in Europe, than in the USA) can tune into the European championships without the boss knowing about it. During the European championships, the geographic reports do often show in increased number of hits from Europe. Europeans love us, because I do everything possible to let them listen in a way where the boss will be less likely to find out. You see, I have the server for the online station I own at a data center down Mexico way. With the "relay" I have, they would know that someone was connecting to some strange address in Mexico, and never know they they are connecting to someone's Live 365 feed. Plus, the fact that I will be dropping the bitrate down to 8K during live broadcasts of Europeans will make it even LESS likely that someone will get caught. At only 8K, you would only use a few megabytes a day, even if you listened to the entire days worth of programming. Becuase of the extremly low bandwidth usage, it will not stick out like the proveribal sore thumb, in any usage reports.

Reply to
chilly8

And in a properly configured solution they would never be able to connect to a "strange" server anywhere.

You keep missing the entire point, only a improperly secured business allows connections to the world, so, a properly setup network would never allow a connection to an undefined location like yours.

Reply to
Leythos

X-No-Archive: Yes

configured solution they would never be able to

However, part of my radio station operations (like a few other internet radio stations), is to sell time to broadcasters. The people that buy time from me to air The Classical Hour, expect their show to be heard. They expect their advertisers to be heard. In addition to my programs (e.g. my talk show, and my sports coverage), I also have added programs from other people buying sime on my station,and connecting to my servers. For the highest level bitrate (256K, currently only used by The Classical Hour(, they are paying a LOT of money, and EXPECT their show to be heard. I am hell-bent on seeing that my customers get what they PAID for. That is why I have engineers that do everything possible to come up with ways where my customers' shows can be heard by people wanting to tune in from work (hence the "relay" from my server, to fool the boss's filtering system). I have both a Live 365 feed, as well as a feed off my server. As of right now, NONE of the major filtering vendors (which are used in nearly all the Fortune 500 companies) have any of my servers in their blacklists, so if you are working for a Fortune 500 company, you will very likely be able to tune in to any show broadcast on my station. Being that the severs are housed in a data center in Mexico, they are far less likely to appear in any blacklists, as servers in Mexico will not appear in any blacklists.

Reply to
chilly8

configured solution they would never be able to

You need to understand that there is NOTHING in anything that you've written that indicates a properly configured firewall solution would allow users to get access to your crap.

You see, many people block access to foreign country IP's, not to mention that many people block access to HTTP where the destination is not described or not listed as to the type of destination - not to mention that a connection from a workers desk that end in Mexico would stand out even more than a local country connection.

Bit rate means nothing, connection shows no matter what the bit rate is. So, even if the firewall was improperly setup, or there was a general allowance of limited personal browsing, the connection would be easy to spot.

You don't seem to understand ANYTHING about networking, security, or firewalls.

Reply to
Leythos

properly configured solution they would never be able to

to understand that there is NOTHING in anything that you've

My clients like me, beuase they know that if the buy time on my network, that I will do everything possible to make it more difficult for employers to block their programming from the workplace. They and their adversiers expect their message to be heard.

Reply to
chilly8

[snip]

You are not making it more difficult to block your programming, it is trivial.

Incidentally, of all the Internet connected system that I use/ manage at work are not capable of receiving your content as you have described it. This is not a reaction to your posts, but the standand configuration. Streaming media is rarely used for work purposes. If it is required, it is enabled on a case-by-case basis, to the site required.

Bogwitch.

Reply to
Bogwitch

And you can't do anything to keep from being blocked by a quality setup that does not require any effort to block your service.

There is no way any user could reach your content on any of the networks that we've designed, not, not even a hope of a chance. Now, since we're not the only people that properly configure network and firewalls, my guess is that you're only getting the people that don't care about security and don't care about lost productivity of their users abusing the company.

Reply to
Leythos

X-No-Archive: Yes

Its the new Google Groups, they wont let you put a nickname on, so it displays your Email address that you registered with.

Well, a new show that is coming to the lineup ought to give network admins in the American South a few nightmares. The Country Joe hour will be coming to the lineup soon, and that drive admins south of the Mason Dizon Line crazy trying to stop people form listening, since the show is to feature tradtional and classic country music. If any broadcasts occur during the workday in the Southeastern USA, that will give network admins there a few headaches there. As I have siad before, I honor my clients requests. They, and their advertisers, want their messages heard, and I will do what it takes to ensure that happens. I found out I can actually set up an encrypted server with Tor, with can only be deciphred by the user running tor, and the "man in the middle" attack, thatr you have mentioned, would not work on a Tor-encrypted stream. All a user would have to do is install Tor, and then point to the encrypted stream. There will be a breather of a few weeks of my hectic travel schedule in covering skating, I will be heading for the data centre and installing the Tor server then. My clients have requested it, and I honour my clients requests. Bascially, the encrypted link will be another relay to Live 365, and the encrypted stream will be that much harder for employers to detect and block.

Reply to
chilly8

Wrong, by default, there is nothing you can do to get your show past our firewall, and I mean there is nothing you can do that would allow users on our clients network to reach your show. Oh, and we don't have to do anything no matter what you change.

Reply to
Leythos

And by default any connection you build would be blocked by default in a standard secure firewall solution - so, no matter how many servers, as encryption means nothing, you put it on, they won't be able to reach it.

Oh, and the connection is easy to spot - you seem to think that encryption or bit rate has something to do with it being harder to detect on an open network, but you're wrong.

Reply to
Leythos

One item we cover that attracts people from Asian and middle eastern communities is our coverage of the Asian Games. When we covered the summer Asian Games in Qatar, in December, we did have people from Middle Eastern communities in Europe tuning into our coverage of the Games. With the winter version of the Games in China, this week, we do expect to see interest from people in Asian communities abroad. Since the the early events each day will be towards the end of the workday in Hawaii and California (where there are a LOT of Asians living), we would not be surprised if people logged on to listen to the Games and see how athletes from their homeland are doing. I do expect that network admins in Hawaii and Calfornia will be going crazy during the afternoons this week, when the morning events of the Asian Games are being broadcast on our network. I have had my network people make sure that our broadcasts cannot be detected and blocked by network admins in California and Hawaii, where there are sure to be a lot of Asian-Americans wanting to tune into the Games. We are doing everything possible to be sure that people in Asian communities worldwide can tune into the Games from work, and their activities cannot be detected of blocked. There are also a lot of people from Middle Eastern communties living in Europe, that will likely tune in. I know that during the summer Asian Games, last December, I saw a lot of hits from worlplaces in Europe. And since some of the events will be during the workday in Europe, I expect a lot of hits from middle eastern people living in Europe, during the Games, as my setup will allow them to tune in from work, without the boss knowing about it.

Reply to
chilly8

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: [snip]

A lot of off topic spam.

Bogwitch.

Reply to
Bogwitch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.