Sygate firewall alternatives

Hi all,

unfortunally Sygate consumer firewall products has been discontinued.

Who can suggest to me a valid alternative? Not invasive like norton or hard to use like kerio.

Thanks in advance

KRiss

Reply to
cristian.jezdic
Loading thread data ...

Kerio 4 is very easy to use. That and ZoneAlarm are about the easiest.

Reply to
Kerodo

Fortunately they have been discontinued.

Just use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thanks Kerodo,

i think thah i go to try Kerio 4.

KRiss

Reply to
cristian.jezdic

I would not recommend Kerio 4. I had several blue screen errors with it. I went to Kerio 2.1.5, with a separate config file from BZ. It is working great so far.

VW

Reply to
V. Wright

Kerio 2 is fine, as long as you don't mind that it let's fragmented packets thru without logging or asking.

Reply to
Kerodo

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1140296623.061904.173140 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I'm still using it though.

Kerio isn't hard to use - at least the v4.x line isn't...

Reply to
[ Doc ]

Do you know its security design flaws?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

VB -

I don't know it's securitydesing flaws. Could you like them for me? Thank you.

Reply to
Anonymous

Sygate opens ports on 0.0.0.0 itself. It makes the PC on which is running vulnerable to the SelfDoS attack. And it installs a system service, which opens windows. The latter is a bad security design flaw, which contravenes against Microsoft's design guide for system services, and can be abused for privilege elevation.

Sygate are showing this way, that they don't have a clue of designing secure software for Windows.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thank you for taking the time to explain this issue. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Reply to
Anonymous

Better than nothing , yes. As always: quid pro quo: Give up a lot of autonomy on your PERSONAL computer, in return get a FW about which you don't know a whole lot, like what it lets pass through (all of MS traffic ?) .

Erik

Reply to
erik

If you don't trust Microsoft: don't use their operating system. Each personal firewall runs ON TOP OF WINDOWS, so if Microsoft wants to bypass a personal firewall, they will.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

You know as much as with any other non-open-source firewall: there is documentation, what exactly happens with the Windows-Firewall.

Of course, using a filtering software, you have the source code for, is a good idea. Especially, when you're using this on an OS, you have the source code for.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.