Sniffer Designed to Store Months of Traffic Data to a Database?

What options are there for a sniffer that would store at least summary information about each packet into a database running on the same machine and allow easy retrieval of this information for months (or as long as you have practical amounts of storage for). Having something like ethereal that could view IP and ethernet addresses, but could then store and retrieve on any parameters from an SQL database, would be quite handy.

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

argus

formatting link
is what I use (although it isn't in a data base, although I there is work towards that going on). Various netflow based pacakges and ipaudit work similarly. There are also a bunch of commercial flow analysis products out there but they are usually quite pricey. On fast links (gig and up) performance gets to be quite interesting.

Peter Van Epp / Operations and Technical Support Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Reply to
Peter Van Epp

I would not mind spending up to say $1K for a decent quality commercial product that stored data in a database, so we could do queries to quickly collect subsets of the data. We are connected to Internet on DSL so it's unlikely I need gigabit level products. I'm more focused on feature set in analysis of the data.

If anyone knows of product reviews for this kind of product I would love to hear some evaluations.

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.