server without port forwarding

I'd like to open a server on my pc that can be reached from internet. The only problem is that my router doesn't support the PORT FORWARDING. How can I do?

Reply to
RicercatoreSbadato
Loading thread data ...

What? You either get a router that does support port forwarding or you don't use a router which is not good choice.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

A router that performs proxy and reverse proxy could accomplish quite a bit without the need for nat or port forwarding, but this would most likely be a host-based router. If this is a modem/router that supports

1483 bridging, then you could bridge to a device that provides nat and port forwarding.
Reply to
Dom

To do so, you better should have deep knowledge about computing security, or your box will be 0wned soon. Before that, you need knowledge about networking, or you cannot understand.

This is an oxymoron.

Learn. You could start with "TCP/IP" from Craig Hunt. Wikipedia will help, too.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

What router model/part number do you have?

Also, if you expose your computer to the public, if you don't completely understand that security threats, you could easily have your machine compromised.

Reply to
Leythos

Either

a) buy a better router

or

b) Pay somebody to recommend, install, configure and maintain a better router for you.

I recommend b).

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Ok, I've understood that all of you are interested to the security!! But nobody have gave a reply to my question!

I'm interested to be reached from internet but my router hasn't the port forwarding functionality. The answer "buy a better router" doesn't seem to be a really good answer.

Then you don't know a way to do this. That's all.

Thaks.

Reply to
RicercatoreSbadato

Wrong, you got the correct answer but you didn't like it.

That is the correct answer. If you are using an IP-address from

192.168.0.0./16, 172.16.0.0./12 or 10.0.0.0/8 (reserverd for private use,) and your router doesn't offer the possibility of port forwarding, then you need another router. Of course you don't need port forwarding if you've got a public IP-address for your PC behind the router. In this case you just need correct routing entries.

From a technical point of view it does not matter at all whether you like the answer or not because the answer is correct.

There are two ways:

- Private IP + port forwarding (+ a router that supports it)

- Public IP (+ routing if behind a router)

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

If your router hasn't a functionality for static NAT (which is what you're perhaps needing), then "buy another router" maybe is the only way to help you.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Your're correct. We don't know how to do something with your router, that your router can't do.

Now, if you can describe for us the particular service that you are trying to expose, there may in fact be a way using a software client on your PC and a server on the Internet to accomplish your goal. Would you care to provide additional detail on what you are trying to accomplish? Or simply continue to demand the impossible?

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.