Problems after external IP change...

Hardware: Watchguard SOHO 6 OS: Windows Server 2003

I recently relocated, and therefore my IP has changed. It's a static IP, as was the case before.

It's a DSL connection, also as before. From the DSL modem, I'm running a line to my SOHO 6 and then directly to my server.

I've gone into the firewall settings and changed the external IP address. Unfortunately, however, I lose the Internet when I do this.

If I do not specify the IP and set it as "DHCP Client" I can access the Internet, but cannot use Remote Desktop or access my locally hosted website as I could before the move.

What am I missing? Thanks for any help!

Reply to
rickabandon
Loading thread data ...

Yea, if you get an IP via DHCP then you're not really setup for a fixed IP. On the several DSL business class connections I've setup in the last few months, none of them came ready for Bridge Mode - where you get a full public IP connection, they were some bastard form of a public/private connection.

Does your DSL connection require PPOE?

Have you tried connecting the PC directly (and this is always dangerous) to the DSL line and setting it up to see if your Public IP changes work on the PC?

It's not the firewall, we have them on DSL connections, but you really need to get in touch with your ISP and ask them how to set it up for a PUBLIC IP connection.

Reply to
Leythos

Are you using the same ISP in the same area/country or a different one in a new area/country?

What DNS arrangements are in place to point your domain name at your IP address?

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Thanks for the replies. Leythos was on the right track - the modem was not configured for bridge mode. The ISP has finally provided me with that information. Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
rickabandon

Glad I was able to help - it is a real PITA now that they've started doing this. Their routers sort of provide a public connection, but not really. If you push them hard enough they will allow you to set it in Bridge Mode, but they complain that they can't provide any support in that mode.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.