Packet fragmentation question

In an inter-networking fragmentation scheme (i.e. end-to-end), AIUI assembly only occurs at tranmission destination, even if the packets cross multiple networks. This is in contrast to the intra-network fragmentation scheme, which reassembles at every gateway.

My question relates to the way that the fragmentation occurs at each gateway. Obviously when the message leaves the source station it is fragmented in a standard manner. This involves splitting the data into multiple packets (generally the size of the maximum transmission unit [MTU]). The original data is split into packets that are equal to the MTU minus the packet overheads (e.g. header etc). However, I'm not entirely sure what happens when the message reaches the next gateway.

Am I correct in saying that the packet created at the source station is then fragmented (if necessary), at the next gateway? So, say a 1000 octet packet (60 overhead + 940 data) reaches the next gateway - would that individual packet then be fragmented? So, then say the MTU of the next network is 800 octets, and the 1000 octet packet was received - would the 940 octets of data be extracted, then split into two packets, one of 800 octets (data + overhead), another with the leftover (remaining data + overhead)?

TIA.

Reply to
John E
Loading thread data ...

Your second scheme doesn't make any sense. By definition there are no gateways involved in intra-network communications. In any case, reassembly never occurs anywhere other than at the destination.

Yes. Unless the packet has the Don't Fragment flag set, in which case the router will drop the packet and send an ICMP Fragmentation Required but DF Set message back to the origin.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Yes. Fragments are fragmented precisely the same way non-fragments are fragmented.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Hello,

Barry Margolin a écrit :

However it appears that some firewalls and NATs do packet reassembly because they need it for stateful packet inspection.

[Is this huge crosspost necessary ? FU2 comp.protocols.tcp-ip]
Reply to
Pascal Hambourg

Why do you want want fragmentation? Gateways are always pathways out of your network. They are always routers.

Reply to
Hexalon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.