On Risks and Vulnerabilities of Digital Signatures

Recently I was asked by some acquaintances about the potential security risks of digital signatures. The following is a sketch of what I answered with my very humble knowledge. Hopefully experts in this group would (eventually strongly) correct and augment my argumentation.

A. From the theoretical side (concerning math):

(1) There are assumptions in the underlying mathematical foundations which till the present cannot yet be proved in the absolute exact sense. These are hence liable to turn out to be false at any time in the future. Example: Recently Lenstra et al. showed that the method of discrete logarithms can be very much easier attacked than hitherto commonly assumed.

formatting link

(2) All methods have parameters which should be chosen to lie in certain numerical ranges such that they may properly function as desired. The determination of such ranges is apparently by necessity an issue of more or less arbitrariness, whence the actual security obtained in any given concrete case is not entirely unquestionable.

(3) Owing to the frequently very advanced math involved, high expertise is required to be able to verify the correctness of the details. This entails the risk that under circumstances the number of practically available capable experts is insufficient to guarantee a neutral (the opposite of biased/manipulated) examination and evaluation. Example: The so-called "dual elliptic curve" is reported to contain a backdoor.

formatting link

(The issue led to a revision of the procedure of processing cryptological standards of the US national standradization body NIST

formatting link

B. From the practical side (concerning software and CAs):

(1) In case within the entire processing of a digital signature there is one single non-open-source (proprietary, blackbox) software component, the risk of potential manipulations (due to possible disloyality/dissatisfaction of employees of software firms, pressures from authorities, hacking, etc.) is evidently already impossible to be excluded.

(2) Also open-source software can contain grave errors, which due to lack of persons in the public having interest, time and appropriate knowledge to thoroughly examine them could remain undetected for a long time. Example: the Heartbleed Bug of OpenSSL.

formatting link

(3) CAs are organisations of humans and humans could not only commit errors and mistakes but also be subjected to bribery, extortion, ideological and other ways of influences. In any digital signature processing there are in general a number of CAs involved which could be located inland or overseas (thus beyond normal judicial reaches). How well one could trust the results of a cooperation of such a group of organisations (of which one as a rule knows nothing at all) is apparently a large question mark from the very beginning.

M. K. Shen

-----------------------------------------------

P.S. It may be valuable in safeguarding one's privacy to constantly keep in mind of the presence of certain quasi-omnipotent secret agencies of the world, as has been convincingly revealed by Edward Snowden (see G. Greenwald. No Place to Hide, New York, 2014).

This note is also available at:

formatting link
where some other crypto relevant publications of mine may also be found.

Reply to
Mok-Kong Shen
Loading thread data ...

Concerning vulnerabilities as such,

formatting link
has an interesting article entitled "Disclosing vs. Hoarding Vulnerabilities".

Concerning CAs, an interesting link I got elsewhere:

formatting link

Reply to
Mok-Kong Shen

I just found an interesting article on digital signatures:

D. Adamski et al.: Why Digital Signatures Fail - Legal Concepts for Long Term Validity in Austria, Germany and Poland, in A. U. Schmidt et al., Long-Term and Dynamical Aspects of Information, pp. 113-124, Nova Sci. Publ., 2007.

M. K. Shen

Reply to
Mok-Kong Shen

I have in the section Epilogue of my recent PROVABLEPRIME Version 1.0.1

formatting link
further argued a tiny little bit and also quoted the following from a book of R. Anderson of 2001 which very deplorably appears not yet to have received the attention that it deserves:

"In short, while public key infrastructures can be useful in some applications, they are unlikely to be the universal solution to security problems as their advocates seem to believe. They don't tackle most of the really important issues at all."

M. K. Shen

Reply to
Mok-Kong Shen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.