Norton NIS autoblocks cable modem DNS Scan

Hi all

The problem I have is this: every few hours, one of the computers (any one, not a particular one) will have a partial failure of internet service- I can't browse the web but email, skype and FTP still work. After

30 minutes the problem rights itself. The other computers in the network don't usually experience this problem in the same time (i.e. they are fine except the one that does't work). I thought my router has a hardware problem but then I noticed that every time the problem happens, just before it my NIS 2003 reports a "portscan" of 192.168.1.1 (domain 53-> this means port 53, I gather). I have a 3COM router and win2k home network of PC's.

Apparently it is because the NIS2003 autoblocks the 192.168.1.1 for 30 minutes after each 'attack'. I can only assume that this is some kind of periodic DNS ping by the system.

With the aid of this useful site,

formatting link
I learnt that for cable modems I might have to add the Default gateway (192.168.1.1) (the site refers to the 'modem' address but If I have a router I am guessing that is the same) to the trusted zone (perhaps at least for port 53?) Or I could set up a rule for NIS2003 to trust all traffic on port 53, does anyone know which is safer?

If I set 192.168.1.1 to be a trusted address, doesn't that mean that attacks could originate from there?

I can set it to allow only port 53 from 192.168.1.1, but is this DNS request TCP,UDP, both or ICMP?

What would be the least security vulnerable solution?

Thanks...!

(..) Below is additional configuration info.

I have tried to have the PC's configured statically (with DNS servers) as well as DHCP automatic config, it doesn't imrove the issue. If I disable NIS 2003 and then immediately enable it, internet service resumes... I scanne all open ports with a web security site and it reports that only port 113 is closed (the rest are stealthed).

NIS (Norton internet security) 2003. All PC's in the network have Win2k, SP5 IE6 SP1, and NIS 2003 with all of the updates. L2TP Cable internet is through 3Com wireless Officeconnect 3CRWE554G72T router.

Reply to
developmental2
Loading thread data ...

site,

formatting link

FWIW, I used to be a field service technician and one of the biggest hassles I faced were PCs with NIS installed. IMO, any computer that has NIS installed, and the user is a techie-geek like me, would be better off using something much less frustrating than NIS, usually, independant software that isn't integrated together like NIS. NAV is great... but the package suite is way too fluffy and bloats the OS pretty bad. Needless to say, to uninstall it sometimes causes even MORE problems...

good luck

Reply to
philipbgardner

site,

formatting link

FWIW, I used to be a field service technician and one of the biggest hassles I faced were PCs with NIS installed. IMO, any computer that has NIS installed, and the user is a techie-geek like me, would be better off using something much less frustrating than NIS, usually, independant software that isn't integrated together like NIS. NAV is great... but the package suite is way too fluffy and bloats the OS pretty bad. Needless to say, to uninstall it sometimes causes even MORE problems...

good luck

Reply to
RedForeman

site,

formatting link

Thank you for replying. However all I would like to know whether this phenomenon is an attack or it can be safely given an "allow" rule in NIS. I get it 10-15 times a day now, all from 192.168.1.1 (the router address of course) and every time from a different port (1000-5000). If I tell NIS to allow all traffic from said IP, that is the same as disabling NIS altogether, isn't it?

Thanks

Reply to
developmental2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.