New 8K Feed

Thanks to the new 8K bitrate option on Live 365, I can throttle the bit rate down to 8 kilobits, when I do my talk show. This also means that at that super-low bit rate, it would not stand out in any logs, if someone were to listen to my show from work. In fact, I had a caller to my talk show today from Memphis, who is able to listen from work, without the admins detecting it, becuase even if you listened to the entire 2 hour program, the total bandwidth usage would only be a few megabytes a day. something that would hardly stick out. A super low bandwidth stream of only 8K is not likely to be noticed by any network admins, becuase a lot of other stuff uses a lot more bandwidth, than an

8K feed of my talk show. Simply put, when I throttle the bandwidth down to 8K, it will almost certainly not be noticed by any network admins, even if someone listens to the entire 2 hour program.
Reply to
chilly8
Loading thread data ...

cool, I am glad you are telling us about your figure skating show again, it's been a while...

M
Reply to
mak

My show is not just figure skating. While we have live broadcasts from skating (and other sporting events that have Australians), my main talk show does a lot of poltical and current events stuff, as well. With the elections coming up in America, that has become a hot topic, and is drawing in a lot of listeners, which is another reason I dropped the feed to 8K when my talk show airs, so I can get more listeners within the limit of listeners, before they would have to buy VIP access. However, an 8K feed of my talk show is not going to be that much noticed by admins, becuase even if you listened to the entire 2 hour show, the total bandwidth consumed would be only around 6 megabytes of data.

Reply to
chilly8

Good for you! It's wonderful that you are getting live figure skating coverage and other homosexual issues out to the public.

However, your persistence at advertising your work has no doubt landed you on many blacklists. In short, plenty of people in workplaces with paper MCSE admins will be able to listen to your show.

But any admin who knows what he is doing will block you without a problem.

Reply to
Spender

Spender wrote:

Skating is NOT a "homosexual" issue. Second, we do MORE than just figure skating. We do a LOT of sports where Australians compete. We go gymnastics and swimming as well. We cover the Olympics, when they come around. And we are also a political channel as well, and we are well known for opposing the Bush regime. The ONLY admins that would really want to block us, that I can see, are the die-hard Bush supporters that consider anyone opposed to the Regime to be a "Godless Commie". I see that is the ONLY reason that ANY admin would want to block my show. However, the "live" server for Live 365, when I switch from automated to live broadcasting, varies everytime I go live, so even if they did block one server address, there would be a different address and port the next time I went on the air. Admins would be playing "whack a mole:, as one guy once put it, trying to stop my live broadcast. Now, my automated music programme that runs from their serers, when we are not broadcasting live, that can be stopped, since the URL never changes for that, but the URL for live broadcasting does change every time I switch over to live, and admins would go BERZERCK trying to stop my LIVE broadcasts. And as for the one reporter at Fox, who called me up on my show some time back to call me a "Godless Commie", she was able to do so from her desk at work, without her admins being able to detect what she did, because she used an encrypted tunnel to her cable modem at her apartment on Long Island, and then use her Skype service from her computer to call me. Neither her connectoin to my show, nor her call, through her Skype service, would be detected by her admins, becuase it was on an encrypted tunnel. Any attempt to sniff her packets would not have gotten any useful information that could have been used against her.

However, something that is only "dribbling" at 8K is hardly going to be noticed on a typical multi-megabit line that businesses typically use. It would hardly be a blip in bandwidth usage, so network admins are not going to see anything "fishy" with an audio stream that only runs at 8K. And I get listeners all over the USA. My show, yesterday, during "working hours" in the eastern USA (I am on location in Havana, Cuba this week), shows listeners from all over the Eastern USA tuned in to my show.

Reply to
chilly8

Of course not. Most men just love to wear sequined spandex outfits...

Now you are just getting delusional. Somehow it escapes you that work places are meant for *working*, and a company's computer resources are meant for business use, not catching up on the Ice Capades.

Reply to
Spender

That does NOT make them homosexual. A lot of the men of figure skating have made very good husbands and fathers. I just hope people like Scott Hamilton and Ilya Kulik, or Victor Petrenko are not reading this. They would take great exception to that. They are examples of skaters from the mens division that are devoted husbands and fathers. If I had a grown daughter now, I would have no problem with her marrying one.

Well, in increasingly puritanical and right-wing America, there are probably a lot of admins who are right-wing nutjobs who are hard-core Republicans that would block our broadcasts just on the political views my show airs. We do MORE than just skating. While we do a lot of it during the height of skating season, we do a lot of other sports, where Australians compete. We are a very Australia-centered online radio station. Our opposition to the nutjobs of the Religious Right would undoubtedly get us banned in a lot of workplaces south of the Mason-Dixon line, and I have no doubt that a few "family friendly" ISPs, as it were, owned by a few conservative religious organisations, have probably also blocked our broadcasts as well. Anything that opposes their extreme views, would certainly be on their blacklists.

Reply to
chilly8

And your daughter would be very luckily to find one who actually wanted to marry a woman...

Most admins have no time for such activities. The fact is that most good admins block all access to non-work related internet activities. If you looked up the stats on the bandwidth and productivity lost to personal internet use, you'd understand.

For any admin that intentionally blocks left-wing sites, there is likely a counter-part who is blocking right-wing sites. All of those would be nut-job admins with too much time on their hands.

Then start playing Australian audio dramas. Wasn't Alien Worlds an Australian production?

Banning personal uses of the internet in the workplace will happen everywhere and without regard to content. It is a bandwidth and productivity issue, not political. A lot of cubicle farms ban radios also because they don't want the cacophony of dozens of different stations playing at once.

I doubt you'll find any ISP's in America that will ban anything. Maybe some mom & pop ones with few users, but no big players. Even South of the Mason- Dixon line most people believe in freedom of speech.

What would they have to fear? No Liberal talk-radio station has ever been successful. Even Air America is bankrupt, despite the cash poured into it by George Soros and his ilk.

So you can just drop your disdain for those who live below the Mason-Dixon line. Even in the North, you can't find enough people who want to listen to Liberal talk-radio to be profitable.

You have a lot to learn about America. Most of the country consists of moderate fence-sitters who dislike both right-wing and left-wing extremism. Unfortunately they also have a complete inability to come up with a policy of their own, so they always vote for who they see as the lesser of two evils. Not being Libertarians, they just can't understand that a drop of cyanide in a glass of water is every bit as deadly as a full glass of cyanide.

But anyway, since you are an Aussie, thanks for your support! Apparently not you personally, but regardless of the U.S. administration, Australia is always a good friend. I hope I can get down there some time.

Reply to
Spender

I think if they had a Walkman raido, most managers might not say anything. I was listening some time back to an all-request show played once a week here on Friday mornings, and the caller even admitted she was not supposed to have a radio, but she had a Walkman radio she was able to sneak into work, and was listening to the "Freaky Friday" all request radio show on that station. With these barely noticeable "ear buds" you can use, hardly anyone would notice you were listening to a banned radio, if you can keep the things from falling out of your ears. I dont know if this girl who was calling into the

107.9 The End, here in Sacramento, was using ear buds or not, but she was able to get away with listening to Freaky Friday and the Morning Rave, at work, using her Walkman radio, that she secreted past security into her workplace. Apparently, it was one of those "ultra secure" type workplace like Moe has said he works in. This girl had even admitted on the air, a couple of years ago that she quite reguarly secreted her Walkman past security so she could listen to The Morning Rave. It is one of Sacramento's more popular morning radio shows, and some people will do anything to hear those three wisecracking morning DJs on the show, and they can get a little crazy at times, which is why their listeners love them, and why their show is one of the top rated morning shows here in town.
Reply to
Charles Newman

thank you

so true

thank you again

Spender, you are a wise man

and can we get back to security and firewalls, I believe this is the place for it...

Reply to
mak

On 25 Oct 2006 15:08:17 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com may have written:

Or those admins tasked with the job of restricting access to content that obviously has zilch to do with employee's work? Blocking live365 streaming - it ain't tricky...

PD

Reply to
Paul Day

Depends on the workplace and the manager. Some are lax, some are strict. But intentionally doing something that is not permitted at work is idiotic. Why risk your bread and butter over a radio show? Being fired for cause doesn't exactly sparkle up your resume.

Reply to
Spender

Sorry for the rant... ;)

As for firewalls, I am going to get the WatchGuard X15 suggested by Leythos. I'll fiddle around with it, and if it works out well I can sell them to the more upscale home newbies looking for good security.

I'd never burn them on the price just because it is a higher end box. But the WatchGuard's, being the BMW of home user firewalls compared to a Linksys box from Walmart, will be a good selling point to suburbanites.

Reply to
Spender

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.