Netopia 3346 - watchguard

It is the Edge X10. I'm having more difficulty configuring the netopia router.

Dwight

Reply to
Dwight
Loading thread data ...

Anyone know how to use a watchguard firebox with a netopia dsl/router?

The router is making the ppoe connection and has NAT actived.

The network has 5 workstations and one SBS server on it.

Thanks

Reply to
dwight

This is what I planned. It looks like I should have the WG use the public ip.

I have the SBS server doing DHCP

Thanks Dwight

Reply to
dwight

If the router is using NAT, and none of the LAN devices connect using PPOE, then the WatchGuard doesn't need PPOE either. You just assign a single NAT IP from the Netopia to the External (Public) jack and then make sure you also create a Trusted (LAN) side with a DIFFERENT network subnet (so, if the Netopia gives 192.168.0.0/24, you want the LAN side of the WG unit to do 192.168.8.0/24 and all the computers in the SBS network should also be at 192.168.8.X/24).

You really want to change the way that your DSL connection works, you don't want it to do NAT, you want it to run in BRIDGE mode so that your DSL router gives you 1 (or more) PUBLIC IP addresses that you assign to the FireBox, and then the FireBox does NAT for the internal computers.

Don't forget to disable DHCP on the Firebox and on your DSL Router, the SBS Server should be the only DHCP service on the network.

Reply to
Leythos

Which WG firewall did you actually get - a Firebox II or III and what version.

In order to make use of the most features your firebox needs to have a Fixed Public IP, some rules don't NAT without a fixed IP on the public side.

Also, make sure that your LAN subnet is not in the default of the cheap NAT routers (not 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24) so that when you implement VPN/IPSec/PPTP, that you don't have any subnet conflicts.

Reply to
Leythos

Yea, I always hated the text interface to the Netopia routers and the litte program you had to purchase to configure one..... I would hope that a ADSL Netopia is easier to setup then one of their T1 routers...

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.