Need Freeware Firewall applicance.

I know this is probably a tall order, however, I have a spare PC with a couple of network cards. I would like to change it into a firewall & proxy. Just to learn more about firewalls / security and web caching.

In the past I've installed linux / iptables / squid / fwbuilder etc. However, it took a lot to get it compiled running and configured. It was a little more work and a little less elegant then I originally intended. Although I learned a lot, this time I am looking for a cleaner (simpler) solution. One where I could manage the entire thing from an fwbuilder type interface and one that would work 'out of box' so to speak.

Do I need to go a Linux route with iptables / squid manually built by hand. Configure OS / IP-Tables / FW-builder / SQUID or some equivalent solutions or are there already free canned distro/appliances that will let me remotely push a firewall policy onto this machine and manage its proxy settings from a remote location. (Save my trip to the basement). Hopefully this solution has some sort of free IDS type detection built in as well. Thank you in advance and please point me in the right direction if at all possible.

Reply to
Anthony B
Loading thread data ...

I guess I could also ask it like this :

"Are there any freeware even remotely comparable to Checkpoint, PIX, or Netscreen?"

Thanks aga> I know this is probably a tall order, however, I have a spare PC with a

Reply to
Anthony B

Anthony,

You can have a look at

formatting link
do provide a free edition.

Reply to
sudipta

Run squid and IPF - free and free'er. Run Webmin to make it more 'appliance' like.

Reply to
AMR

Try these and decide which one will match your needs

formatting link
personally I like the first one, although it hasn't a built-in proxy, you could always add one on a separate box if you really do need it; or you may just use it "as is" and then wait for the next version which will have a built-in proxy with AV scanning capabilities

Reply to
ObiWan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.