IRQ problem with sundance card on Checkpoint firewall

hi everybody,

I've got a problem with a checkpoint firewall on a DELL GX270 box, the problem is the D-Link Sundance Quad Ethernet card. After some time it seems to switch IRQ's from a lower range (3-11) to a higher (12-19) one, which gets the firewall to not work any longer. The OS is based on kernel 2.4.21-20cp. I've tried "ifconfig eth1 irq 0x" to change the IRQ manually, but that didn't work i get an error message like "SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported". So my questions are:

How can I change the IRQ's of the interfaces manually, is there any configfile or something like it? What could be cause oft the IRQ change?

Thanks in Advance, Pascal B=E4ttig

Reply to
steppen.wolf
Loading thread data ...

Presumably a DFE-580TX

When does this occur. At boot? _While_ the system is running? When you say it switches IRQ, are you referring to the IRQ that the hardware is using, or the IRQ that the kernel is using? I'm assuming that the hardware is moving at boot. That's a BIOS problem. Otherwise, see below.

That option isn't part of any modern NIC driver.

That's a PCI card. The PCI connector has four pins for interrupts, labeled "Interrupt A" through "Interrupt D" (pin A6, B7, A7, B8 respectively). Which actual interrupt _number_ that these pins lead to is determined by the BIOS setup.

Normally, this is a function of the BIOS setup, and may change as a function of adding/removing or moving hardware. _OTHER_THAN_THAT_ the hardware configurations shouldn't be changing.

If on the other hand, the IRQ that the kernel is looking at is changing (you'd see this by looking at /proc/irq or the kernel boot messages that normally go to /var/log/messages), then you want to see if you have some wonderful "helper" program, such as 'kudzu' running at boot. That piece of crap is a "tool" to detect hardware changes. If you aren't changing the hardware, you may want to disable it (or simply remove it).

You may want to check the Dell mailing lists - they actually have some people there who support Linux. You are posting from a search engine called google - so search 'lists.us.dell.com' though that is a Dell mailing list, and you'd have to _subscribe_ to the _Dell_ mailing list (not the google mirror) to be able to post to it.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.