Help wanted with Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081 - vsmon.exe taking 99% of cpu after 55 mins!!!??

Your version is VERY old and could have problems. I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version. I'm running it here and my cpu usage is only about 1% overall. They're fixing things all the time, so a later version will most likely solve your problem..

Reply to
Kerodo
Loading thread data ...

Those who are suggesting a later version of ZA could be giving you the best advise. I am running Win XP Pro on a pentium PC, with ZA 5 Pro Suite, this version also has vsmon.exe, but my CPU usage is "00" while writing this reply.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Hello,

I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and necessitating a reboot.

I found a fix for this on the Microsoft site:

"Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 321434 On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows NT or later, use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). To do so, click Start, click Run, and then type regedt32. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\vsmon.

NOTE: Vsmon is a service that is installed by ZoneAlarm Pro. In the right pane, double-click DependOnService. In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, you will see a list of items that might include Afd, RpcSs, and Vsdatant. Add W3SVC to the end of this list, and then click OK."

I did this and it worked for some months. However, since downloading the Microsoft XP fixes in the last few weeks, my pc is back to square one: within one hour of booting up, vsmon.exe takes 99% of the cpu.

Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have any bugs.

Notes:

1) The W3SVC change is still there. 2) I've tried setting the priority of vsmon.exe to 'low' - no change. 3) I've tried a System Recovery to a point before the problem started up again - no change. 4) I haven't backed out the Microsoft fixes. 5) I have looked at the ZA forum for a fix but their tone seems to be 'kindly buy the next ZA version."

Thanks in advance to all who post replies in this group. EB

Reply to
zoneprobs NOSPAM

I am not sure it is because of an OLD version. I had just upgraded to the latest version 5.0.590.043 and this 100% CPU problem start to happen and I don't have this problem before?

Reply to
ming

Hello,

Firstly my thanks to Michael, Kerodo and Ming for kindly replying.

I gave in and found a later version of ZA Pro (v 4.5) - it seems to be working fine.

Ming: I heard that v5 has many bugs. Plus you may not have done a clean uninstall of your old version of ZA. I suggest you follow the ZA instructions for completely removing your old version (using both the 'Uninstall' option and then doing a manual search/delete for any stray ZA files) before installing the new version. Also if you can avoid v5 for the moment it would be a good idea.

Regards EB

Reply to
zoneprobs NOSPAM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.