Forwarding port inside of firewall

I have some sort of unique situation here. My ISP is currently blocking port 80. I have changed my web server to port 82 and have redirected by domain name to point to port 82 to bypass the block on port 80. Then I have my firewall forwarding port 82 to my web server which is running on port 82. Pretty simple config. I am having some strange difficulties running my web server on port 82 and want to change it back to port 80. This will of course be blocked. What I am wanting to do is to continue having my dynamic DNS provider redirect my domain name to port 82, then my firewall will accept the port 82 traffic, but instead of having it forwarded directly to my web server, I want it to somehow take the port 82 traffic and then convert it to port 80 and then forward to my web server running on port 80.

I know it seems strange to do it this way, but it is just not working consistently.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Jason

Reply to
groups
Loading thread data ...

So, what is your question? Specifically, what problem have you been experiencing with this setup?

....Seems like you're trying to archieve NAT ---static NAT port 82 to port 80.

J.P.

snipped-for-privacy@advancepcservices.com wrote:

server,

Reply to
J.P.

I do apologize for not being more clear.

My question is how do I " take the port 82 traffic and then convert it to port 80 and then forward to my web server running on port 80. "? Right now I have to forward port 82 to my web server running on port

1. I am having problems running my web server on port 82, so I want to change it back to port 80.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
SpiritBoy

If you are having problems running a web server on port 80, then you need to get different (or properly configured) web services. Even IIS will run on any port you set it too.

I have to agree. your webserver doesn't care which port it runs on, as long as it knows it is running on there. It is obviously having other difficulties.

As to the forwarding, you need to set a static NAPT (Port nat) from your firewalls/routers port 82 to your webserver port 80. Depending on what you are using, this could also be called port forwarding, virtual server configuration, port NAT or NAPT.

regards dc

Reply to
datacide

Do you know of any inexpensive models that support NAPT? I have an older webramp running an old version of Sonicwall firmware and I do not see that option.

I am running an Exchange server with OWA and I am wanting to also run OMA with ActiveSync. When I change web server port to 82, it causes problems with my Exchange ActiveSync and OMA. That is why I am wanting to use something like NAPT. I was not aware of NAPT, but it sounds like that is what I need to resolve my issue.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Jason

Reply to
SpiritBoy

I'll try that, thanks.

Reply to
SpiritBoy

If you are having problems running a web server on port 80, then you need to get different (or properly configured) web services. Even IIS will run on any port you set it too.

Since your ISP doesn't allow personal web servers you might want to reconsider as I've personally seen users have their service terminated for violating the no-servers rule.

Reply to
Leythos

The Linksys BEFSR41 units allow you to specify external Port and Internal Port - depending on the firmware. I also think that the BEFSX41 units to it too.

And no, what you really need to do is change your OWA so that it runs on port 443 (which is not blocked by most ISP's that block 80) and that way your OWA is running on SSL. Install certificate services, create your own certificate, install it, and then tell OWA to require encryption.

Reply to
Leythos

wanting

Reply to
dave

Install the newest firmware and see if it's in there. I've got a linksys BEFSR41 that's more than 5 years old running the latest, but I don't have it handy to check right now.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.