Building a security suite

My NIS 2004 is about to expire and I already have a (free after rebate) copy of NIS 2005, but I'm not happy with the way NIS slows down my PC. I'm considering putting together my own suite of individual packages with the hope that it won't have such an impact on performance, so I'm looking for advice.

What combination of software firewall, anti-virus, etc., are you using and have you noticed any discernable effect on performance?

Thanks! George snipped-for-privacy@nospamcomcast.net

Reply to
George Earl
Loading thread data ...

None, because they are useless crap.

I don't use such crap, so how could I?

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Sygate personal firewall AVG Antivirus spybot s&d Ad-aware

Reply to
Vjeran

How did you decide that they are all ....."useless crap".

Just curious.

Echy

Reply to
Echy

search groups.gooogle.com

The topic has been discussed often enough and I'm too lazy at the moment to discuss it agian.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

then don't discuss it at all you e-tard

Reply to
datacide

George, you're much better off with separate apps for AV and firewall, as you have chosen (in my opinion anyway).

For an anti-virus, try Avast Home Edition. It's free, and does a very good job. Has auto-updates, scans email, scans your web traffic for bad stuff and catches it before it even hits your HD. I've used Avast for years and have been happy with it for a free offering. The other pay products are more bloated and costly and don't seem to be worth the extra bucks.

For firewall, you'd be best off with a good router, but if you just want a software firewall, try ZoneAlarm perhaps. There is a free version of this also. There are many software firewalls, all of them have their bugs and problems. You'll just have to sample a few and decide for yourself which is best. Others are Outpost Pro, Sygate, LookNStop, Kerio 2.1.5 or 4.2, Jetico, the list goes on forever. Probably the easiest to use is ZoneAlarm. The Pro version has some handy extras also.

There's no substitute for a little experimentation.. :)

Reply to
Kerodo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.