Accessing the freedb cd database

Hi I have a small LAN (XP, Debian,W98)via a Netcomm NB5+4W modem/router and am unable to access the freedb cd database. I read that the database uses ports 8880 and 80,if this is true do I need to forward both those ports to the box trying to access the database ? If this is the case,port 80 is already forwarded to the Debian box ( webserver) I am new to the world of routers etc (unlearned)

Any help/advice appreciated Regards Geoff

Reply to
Geoff
Loading thread data ...

I am fairly certain those ports are used for outgoing traffic, so if you have a NAT router that does not do outbound filtering you don't need to do anything.

From what host do you try to access the database?

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

exetel.com.au

Reply to
Geoff

Erm... sorry, that's your ISP ('Internet Service Provider'), I guess. I used 'host' to mean 'computer'. Now, from which of your computers do you try to access freedb, are there any errors in the router's log, and are you certain your configuration is ok?

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

hehe, sorry Joachim Im trying to access the database via the XP box I dont even know if my router does logging :/ Netcomm NB5Plus4W Im fairly sure router config is ok as all comps can access all that is needed so far (besides the database) Regards Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Hmm, so the network should be fine. Checking isn't too easy from here, of course... ;-)

Have you set up freedb access before? Did it work, then? Can you copy the configuration data? (In other words, are you certain that the application works?)

If that fails, could you run a packet sniffer while trying to connect and post the results here (ethereal works for this - try to find a text-based format without too much frills to save your data, or save it as a tcpdump file and send it to me privately, as people won't be happy if you post it here... get a Windows-based version from

formatting link

Joachim

P.S. Don't use your real address on Usenet, unless you like spam. I learned it the hard way, too...

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Its not something I need to setup, its common amongs audio copying apps, you load the cd you want to copy and the program fetches the information from this database,I have uesd it many times before,although never from behind a router

Am downloading nnow,will have a crack at trying to do what you say Its all very interesting learning anyway :)

have taken your advice on this as well

Reply to
Geoff

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.