Scribe Material Choice

So you need something to scribe the fiber in order to cleave it at the tip of the connector prior to polish - or for more general cleaving, if not using a fancy cleaving machine (Which seem mostly to be carbide scribes, I guess.)

Scribes are offered in Ruby, Sapphire, Carbide and Diamond.

Yet I can't find anything about the supposed advantages of one material over the other. All are far harder than glass, which is most of what's needed. Obviously diamond is hardest and most expensive - but "better" or just "most expensive, makes Ogg think must be bettur?"

The first three are about the same hardness, the first two are basically the same mineral (corundum) with different dopants for coloring. So why the different flavors on the menu? Some sort of "I'd rather push my Ford/Chevy than drive a Chevy/Ford" thing with scribe material, or a tangible difference?

Reply to
Ecnerwal
Loading thread data ...

Carbide scribes work well, especially when new and sharp and are cheaper to replace (to keep them new and sharp). Never worked with anything other than a carbide scribe but I don't think it would need to be any harder than carbide: almost anything can leave a scratch this small on glass, just has to be sharp enough not to push the fiber while scratching.

------------------------------------- Best Regards, Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

formatting link
Cabling Guide, Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for premises cabling users and pros

Reply to
Dmitri(cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.