DB loss after Encapsulating a fusion splice

I'm trying to encapsulate a fusion splice. I have less than .05 DB loss when spliced, after I encapsulate I loose I have significant loss. Does anyone know if the heat/exotherm from epoxy can cause this?

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

Are you baking the epoxy? Epoxy is really strong stuff, and has a big coefficient of thermal expansion...to avoid stress problems, you might want to consider a layer of RTV silicone underneath. That's commonly done in potting electronics, and it saves lots of headaches.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Check if you fiber is having a waveguiding polymer coating. If so, you are just measuring losses before encapsulation incorrectly. Other then that, fiber can react to a sharp bend, if induced when incapsulating.

BTW: a)why are you incapsulating the splice in an epoxy? b) all fibers are different. Perhaps it would help if you write what fibers are you splicing.

Reply to
teh_n00b

The splice also has to be perfectly fused. If there is even the slightest bubble or microcrack it will propagate during the encapsulation process resulting in a break.

P. Danek

Reply to
danek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.