Two Ethernet Conns over one CAT5E

I am looking for folks experience running two 100baseT full duplex links down about 50 metres of CAT5E by using the second two pair. It would be difficult to run a second CAT5E at this time.

OK, I have done this using 10baseT half duplex with no detectable problems but has anybody done it at 100MHz full duplex?

I think it should work, after all the crostalk level must be similar (+3dB) to a single full duplex link.

Reply to
Geoff
Loading thread data ...

100baseT requires the use of all four pairs, whereas 10baseT requires only two of the four pairs. S
Reply to
ABC

(snip regarding two 100baseT connections on a four pair cable)

Well, you should be a little more specific. The 100baseVG and

100baseT4 protocols use four pairs, but your chance of running into them is extremely small. (Slightly better than winning the state lottery.) 100baseTX uses two pairs. 1000baseT does use four pairs.

It will likely work fine, though I would try to keep well below 100m. 50m sounds fine to me. It would be best to wire the jacks in the normal manner and split after coming out of the jacks. There are splitters similar to those used for two line phones. If you have a crimper you could crimp two cables into a single plug. I would only recommend the latter for a home or other low budget application such as a K-12 school.

For a commercial installation be sure to label it well so that future network administrators know what is in place.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Yes, on several occasions.

Indeed, running FE twice is no worse than 1000BaseT on all four pairs.

Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

WRONG. 100baset uses only the orange and green. VGAnylan 100mb ethernet and 100TX both use 4 pairs, but not 100baseT

I run 2 100baseT on one cat5 all the time.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

oops. That reference to 100tx should read 100t4. I type to carelessly!

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

"T. Sean Weintz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Thanks folks for the confirmatory replies, ABC's reply threw me for a moment :-). This is for home use and is to run two extra links to the shed/workshop at the bottom of the garden (I have two 10baseT (but CAT5E) cables out there but I want to run four off 10/100baseT connects.

TTFN

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Maybe it would be better to add a small 4 port hub. Also give some isolation from lightening damage.

Running copper ethernet between buildings is always risky, moreso if the satellite building has a subpanel and ground stake. I don't know what UK practice is with ring mains and such. I presume the shed has power, neutral & ground fed from the main building.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Better to use it for gigabit and fan out at each end.

John

Reply to
John Rowe

It's not recommended, but if you have to do that as a last resort, here are the pinouts and color codes for the split cable:

formatting link
Good luck!

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

A better solution would be to get a couple of inexpensive ethernet switches at both ends and that way you have room to grow beyond the 2nd link you are describing and maintain a proper connection without rigging it.

Reply to
CJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.