Two different VLANs on the same port

Disclaimer: Stupid questions may follow. What I want to do is to set up a backbone LAN and a mangement LAN. I'm therefore trying to find out if it's possible for me to set up my D-Link 3526 so that my connected hosts can be on two different VLANs at the same time. On the hosts I'm thinking that the adapter may be set up with for instance: VLAN 1 (Backbone): Mask: 255.255.255.0. Ip-range

10.0.0.1 - .254 and VLAN 2 (Mngmt): Mask: 255.255.255.0. IP-range 10.0.1.0 - .254.

Does this sound feasible? I'm a bit scared of stuffing this up since the Backbone LAN is already in production (though not set up with a VLAN). If anyone has a different way to set up the two LANs, then any information is much appreciated!

Thanks, H=E5vard

Reply to
hoeriksen
Loading thread data ...
10.0.0.1 - .254 and VLAN 2 (Mngmt): Mask: 255.255.255.0. IP-range 10.0.1.0 - .254.

Does this sound feasible? I'm a bit scared of stuffing this up since the Backbone LAN is already in production (though not set up with a VLAN). If anyone has a different way to set up the two LANs, then any information is much appreciated!

Thanks, Håvard

If your wanting to do this with single nic'd hosts the switch needs to allow vlan trunking on the port. Frames are 'tagged' according to which vlan they're in. The most common tagging standard is "802.1q".

formatting link
formatting link
BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Is DLINK 3526 supports VLAN tagging.

If not then you can have LINUX box creating VLAN's and managing network and DLINK will be just a Swicth working edge.

CK

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
CK

The hosts actually have to nic's but the other one is used for production "outwards" and needs to be left as it is. But if I understand you correctly it's just a matter of setting up the two VLAN's and specify that the connected ports are to be part of both VLANs? The nic drivers (Intel mostly) should be able to differentiate the received frames?

Reply to
hoeriksen

There would be some change at the nic / os to configure them for trunking dot1q encapsulation. Once that's done, yes, the nic / stack will differentiate between tagged frames but what's going on at the switch end? You need layer-3 switching / routiung to forward frames between the different vlans / subnets.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.