Switch behavior when MAC table full

Yes, I agree he is fast and loose with his terminology. But I have SEEN this (seen switches start acting as hubs when the MAC address table fills up)with my own eyes. Also, a large part of the functionality of DSNIFF is based on this phenomenon.

Yes, it DOES require extra logic. I think the philosphy behind this design is likely something along the lines of "it is better to lose the swicth functionality and have uneccessary traffic go to ports where it is not needed than drop any packets" - and of course this design will wreak absolute havoc in a spanning tree environment - you'd basically have it all start looping...

Reply to
sean
Loading thread data ...

I'll leave it to others to comment on "most", because my experience is practically limited to Cisco switches.

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

Here is a link that specifically states Cisco Catalyst 5000's do this:

formatting link

Reply to
sean

You are right. It says when the processor is overloaded, not when the cam table is full. so nix that example.

Reply to
sean

agreed. However-

1- try googling "fail open" "ethernet switch" - dozens of links decribing what I state. (and many dozens of links as well that have nothing to do with the topic, so you do need to sort through a bit) 2- dsniff is in part based on this phenomenon being real. 3- i've witnessed it
Reply to
sean

Well, enough talk, hopefully somebody can test it. Put one port in promiscuous mode and another leave normal. Sniff both ports. Use one of the programs that creates a mac flood to fill the table, then count the packets on the two sniffers.

BTW, becoming a hub when the table fills is a good sales incentive for a switch manufacturer to sell more memory on their switches, so why should they not do it?

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc

Yes. OK. I see now, you are dead right. That is likely exactly what is going on. However, it appears to be a common misconception. Try searching google for "macof" - there are dozens of sites that make the same claim I did. Including the wiki pages for ethereal among others.

formatting link
Flooding: Swicthes keep a translation table that maps varios MAC addresses to the physical ports on the switch. As a result of this it can intelligently route packets from one host to another. The switch has a limited memory for this work. MAC flooding makes use of this limitation to bombard the switch with fake MAC addresses till the switch can't keep up. The switch then enters into what is known as "failopen mode" wherein it starts acting as a hub by broadcasting packets to all the machines on the network. Once that happens sniffing can be performed easily. MAC flooding can be performed by using macof, a utility that comes with the dsniff suite

Yes again.

Thanks for teaching me.

Reply to
sean

formatting link

Try looking for "macoff"

However Mr. Siefert has corrected my misconceptions on this matter. (he getrs my vote for most valuable user of usenet hands down - this is not the first time he's taken the time to correct my misconcepotions)

It's likely that what I have seen is the switch gets flooded and throws away the older mac entries. Therefore things that USED to be in the cam are no longer there, so it LOOKS like it's acting as a hub, but it ain't. Since all the real mac addresses have been superceded by garbage, you DO see all traffic. But not beacuse it's really acting like a hub.

I suppose it will not broadcast to all ports whatever gets freshly arped while the flood is occuring (Until the MAC sent in the arp reply flushes out again), but it would look enough like all traffic is being broadcast to all ports that a casual observer will not see the difference.

Reply to
sean

On 11.03.2005 20:43 sean wrote

neither of the above mentioned URLs really backs up your statement.

Repeating false does not make it true ;-)

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 11.03.2005 20:33 sean wrote

At least Cisco switches behave as how Rich pointed out. See

formatting link
for detais.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 11.03.2005 21:07 sean wrote

Note also that ist says _On some switches_ ... that's quite different than _on all switches_

So I guess "all switches will flood some frames" and "some switches will flood all frames" is the truth ;-)

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 11.03.2005 21:18 sean wrote

formatting link

That documents says "This document is not restricted to specific software and hardware versions."

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 11.03.2005 22:24 Michael Roberts wrote

CatOS lets you disable unicast-flooding on a per port basis.

sw003> (enable) set port unicast-flood 1/1 disable

See

formatting link
for more information on how to configure Unicast Flood Blocking

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 11.03.2005 23:37 sean wrote

What you write does not make sense to me. Only flooding traffic for unknown MAC addresses would already match your philosophy whereas traffic for known destinations is still not flooded.

Moreover imagine what flooding all traffic means on a switch with different port speeds. A lightly loaded GE port will swamp all FE and Eth ports already when there is minimal traffic for an unknown destination.

And as Rich pointed out: you need extra logic which buys you nothing.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 12.03.2005 00:05 sean wrote

Read carefully ... that paper doesn't say that. It says that all frames are dumped to all ports first (whatever that means) and that the Sup hats to tell each port beside the actual destination port to drop the frame.

I can't find any line that says that the Cat5k dumps traffic from all ports to all ports when the cam table is full.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 12.03.2005 00:37 sean wrote

I'm taking the easiest part and had a look at dnsiff

formatting link
and can't find any indication for your statement ...

Maybe it's just too late over here in good old Europe.

Gnight, Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

"It says that all frames are dumped to all ports first (whatever that means)"

Many cisco switches,

5000 series (except 9 port GE card) 6000 series using Sup1, 1a (others?)

Not:-

8500, 4000, 4500, 1900, 2900, 3500

Others I don't know.

Use a shared bus architecture.

Every received frame is copied to the output buffer of every port and to the supervisor.

The supervisor decides what to do with the frame and then tells the various ports whether to drop or forward the frame. The supervisor could in principle decide for most frames what to do before larger frames were fully received. I can't recall if that is what happens.

The ports get 'told' what to do by a bitmap with one bit per port being sent from the Supervisor to the line cards. This is quite efficient.

Advantages:- Multicast, broadcast, and monitor (SPAN) ports can be implemented with exactly zero performance penalty.

Disadvantages:- There are some but I can't recall for the moment:)

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.