STP misunderstanding

Imagine your a switch but your not the root switch. A port that traffic come into you from other switches to get to the root switch is a designated port. The port that you send traffic out toward the root is the root port.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM
Loading thread data ...

To add to my other post, check out the first diagram ...

formatting link
BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Hello, All!

Researching Spanning Tree Protocol raised few questions. What I don't get is the difference between "Root port" and "Designated port" (they seem to be essential), in my opinion thay should be the same, as the meaning is almost same. But according to standard, "Root port" is like an attribute of switch (bridge), while "Designated port" is more likely describes segment (LAN) attribute. On the other hand standard doesn't give distinct defintion of segment. As well I'm not saying about bunch of other confusing terms :-)

So, could you please explain main concept of "Root" and "Designated" ports?

TIA~

With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tusur.ru

Reply to
Roman Mashak

Every switch will have one root port but may have more than one designated port.

The designated port is looked at from the perspective of a lan segment. That segments way to the root is via the designated port so if a switch has three other switches attached then it will be presenting 3 designated ports ... one for each of those segments. Those switches root ports connect to that main switches designated port.

Did you look at that diagram?

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Hello, BernieM! You wrote on Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:58:34 GMT:

??>> about bunch of other confusing terms :-) So, could you please explain ??>> main concept of "Root" and "Designated" ports? TIA~ With best regards, ??>> Roman Mashak. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tusur.ru

B> Imagine your a switch but your not the root switch. A port that traffic B> come into you from other switches to get to the root switch is a B> designated port. The port that you send traffic out toward the root is B> the root port. So, DP should exist on every switch in segment, while RP may be only one?

Reply to
Roman Mashak

Hello, BernieM! You wrote on Thu, 26 Jan 2006 05:47:26 GMT:

B> The designated port is looked at from the perspective of a lan segment. B> That segments way to the root is via the designated port so if a switch B> has three other switches attached then it will be presenting 3 B> designated ports B> ... one for each of those segments. Those switches root ports connect B> to that main switches designated port. Aha, now it's clear, thank you.

Reply to
Roman Mashak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.