Private LAN across WAN??

Is it feasible to setup a private LAN between 2-3 servers that are located across WAN? In my understanding, the private LAN is normally setup, when the servers are in local site. Also, we can setup a VLAN in this case, but it becomes a Public LAN. Am I right?

Reply to
qazmlp1209
Loading thread data ...

Are you looking for VPNs, perhaps? Or just enable cryptography in order to maintain the confidentiality of data among them.

Alex.

Reply to
AM

You are looking for a VPN (Virtual PRIVATE Network). It is not a public LAN, it remains private to anyone who has credentials. You can even get more detailed by forcing remote VPN users to be part of a domain which would still control access to domain resources.

A VLAN has nothing to do with what you are discussing. A VLAN segments your network locally and is layer 2 only (will not traverse a WAN). A VLAN is generally considered a separate subnet/network segment allowing multiple segments per switch. Without VLAN's, a separate switch would be required for each subnet.

If you create a VPN it would accomplish what you are wanting to do but also requires cryptographic IOS or a PIX to be in the scenario.

Ryan

snipped-for-privacy@rediffmail.com wrote:

Reply to
rdymek

Thanks for the information.

Now, (when VLAN cannot be used for it) I am curious to know about setting up a Public LAN with the 2-3 servers that are located across WAN. What are the options available to configure such a setup?

Reply to
qazmlp1209

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.