Multi-WAN switch

Is there any switch that allows two different WAN and multiple LANs running out of a single wire?

Let me clarify my question with a picture:

formatting link
At the top, the current configuration. The distance between Router A and LAN 1 is about 250 meters.

I need to bring connection from a second ISP B to a LAN B physically located near LAN 1, but completely separated from it. I don't want to run another 250 mt wire, so I was wondering if there's any switch on the market that would do the job, as shown in the bottom part of the image.

thank you

Reply to
Freightliner
Loading thread data ...

On 25.05.2010 23:11 Freightliner wrote

Just buy a switch that does vlans

formatting link

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

(snip required by news server)

Actually, 250m is pretty long, so I hope that one is optical fiber...

Sounds like a good use for VLANs, assuming you supply the switch at both ends of the 250m cable.

Though even without VLANs, you can run separate IP (sub)nets on the same cable without much problem. Each host and router will send to the appropriate host or router, though the security considerations are a little different.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

As far as I know, they all do. As others have said, VLAN's would probably be a good fit for your situation, but not strictly required.

I run 3 WAN's and 4 LAN's through an unmanaged 8-port switch and all is well. This is all inside my house, so security is not a great concern.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.