Max. no. of stations on a LAN

Hi all,

I have a basic question about LAN oerformance. Given a 1km 10Mbps bus lan using simple TDM with 100bits slots for Medium access and a propagation speed of 2 x 10^8 m/s, with each station transmitting at rate R bps.

What would be the max. no. of stations it can accomodate?

Moreover, can anyone point me to any online documents regarding max. stations and max. throughput in LANs.

Thanks

PL.

Reply to
parasiteslost
Loading thread data ...

You mention TDM. Is it correct that you do not do any bus arbitration as such? That each station in turn has a time slot to send data in, and if one station has nothing to send then the slot just doesn't carry any useful information during that slot? Presumably with there being either being the ability to send "nothing" during part of a slot, or else with there being some encoding or protocol signifying "this is idle data"?

Should we also assume that there is a master clock signal controlling the synchronization, and that that clock signal is carried in such a way that it does not get skewed beyond tolerance during transmission or at intermediate switches/hubs/connectors ?

And should we also assume that the stations have the slots pre-assigned, so we don't have to worry about protocols for automatically assigning slots to stations (statically or dynamically) ?

Your bus length is 1000 m / (2 x 10^8 m/s) = 5 x 10^-6 seconds long, multiply by 10 x 10^6 bit/s (10 Mbps) to get a bus latency of 50 bits. As that is less than your TDM slot, you won't be using the bus as a storage medium ;-)

So, assuming strict pre-assigned TDM, the problem simplifies quite a bit. You just need to find the maximum number of stations, N, such that N * R

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Take home exam?

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Thanks Walter for your help. I am actually learning on my own and came across tutorials on this subject on the web. Here is the original question:

formatting link
4)

I guess you are right, the limitation is N * R

Reply to
PL

Do I detect a homework question here?

Reply to
James Knott

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.