BPSK

There is discussion in another newsgroup in whether Manchester coding is, or is not, a form of BPSK.

I usually consider it as synchronous phase modulation (the wikipedia page seems to use the work coherent where I would use synchronous).

I thought I would ask here, as there doesn't seem to be much else to ask here.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it is precisely BPSK. The "zero" symbol (half-period high, half-period low) is a 180-degree phase shift of the "one" symbol (half-period low, half-period high).

Sorry for the long latency on response, I don't check this group (or any of the old Usenet groups) very often. Usenet has passed into history, for the most part.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

(snip, I wrote)

It seems that signal processing people disagree, though I am not sure why.

Sorry for the slow reply. It seems that the server that I posted from doesn't get incoming posts. I switched servers temporarily, and notice that there was a reply.

Thanks,

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Except that Manchester is not modulating an RF carrier. My view is that the two are related, but Manchester is baseband and BPSK is modulation of a carrier.

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

he two are related, but Manchester is baseband and BPSK is modulation of a = carrier.

Actually, there's even more of a difference.

In BPSK, a 1 or a 0 is determined by a single phase shift from the carrier = frequency. The modulation is either in phase with the carrier or it is 180 = (or theoretically any other) phase different from the carrier, and each of = those states represents one bit.

In Manchester, instead, you need both the "0 phase" and the "180 phase" sta= tes (in quotes because I'm relating phase to high and low) to represent a s= ingle bit of information.

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Are you distinguishing it by frequency? Consider that RF goes down to

60kHz (used to be 20kHz but I think that one shut down).

In general, there can be any frequency relationship between the carrier and modulating frequency.

In the synchronous case, there is a definite relation between the two, usually that the carrier is an integer multiple of the modulation rate, or possibly a simple fraction.

Manchester is the special case where the modulation (bit rate) is at the same frequency as the carrier, and (if the carrier is considered as sine) either 0 or 180 degree phase shift.

That is, you have a whole cycle of either sin(wt) or sin(wt+pi). It is baseband in the sense that the sidebands can be considered as going down to 0Hz.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Huh? I suppose you are referring to the frequency standard stations WWVL (was on 20 KHz), WWVB (on 60 KHz) from Fort Collins, Colorado (USA) and GBR and/or MSF (was Rugby, England, now moved to Anthorn, England), but these are not the only very low frequency stations still in regular use. GQD (Anthorn, England) is operating on 19.6 KHz, and there are several US Navy transmitters (NAA in Cutler, Maine, NLK in Jim Creek, Washington among others) in the range 17 to 23 KHz.

Not withstanding the above, the International Telecommunications Union defines radio services down to 9 KHz (the band 9 to 14 KHz is for radio navigation services, such as the now retired "Omega" system - see for details - the band 14-19.95 KHz is "Maritime", 19.95-20.05 KHz is "Standard Frequency and Time Signals", 20-70 KHz is "Maritime" and so on) and the fact that few stations use those bands in no way changes the definition of "radio frequencies".

If you look back in the archives of "comp.protocols.time.ntp", you'd find Prof. Mills (RFC5906 and others) ranting about the interference (4th harmonic) from analog television _receivers_ making WWVB unusable in Deleware. Don't know if that's still the major problem it was.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.