Wired dot1x failure

Hi,

I'm doing some testing with wired dot1x and coming across possible future support issues. The supplicants are XP machines connecting to a 3750 switch.

The issue I see arising is when a user fails authentication, for whatever reason, how can you remotely be able to get a username/ password prompt to be redisplayed on the PC?

From my tests so far, once failed say for an incorrect password, the username password box never gets redisplayed unless the PC is either rebooted or physically disconnected and reconnected to the switch. OK, not the end of the world I know but I'd rather not have users pulling out and putting back in plugs as they are bound to end up in the wrong places.....you're probably way ahead of me here.

Anyway, bouncing the port from the switch didn't appear to make this happen. Clearing dot1x int didn't do anything either although it does if authentication has been successful as long as password cacheing has been turned off in XP.

As for working, everything is fine but it's when it doesn't work I can see problems arising for remote faulting. The Cisco docs don't cover this bit?

Anyone got any real life experience of this?

Cheers Bob

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

I've only worked with dot1x authentication for wireless networks, but.... The client is sending the authentiation credentials and a success/fail message is sent to the client. On a fail, the client should then display a message that the authentication failed and reprompt for authentication.

You need to gather more information about what is happening. Is the client resending the same credentials after a fail without prompting the user for new credentials? Is the switch sending a fail message when the credentials aren't valid?

On the wireless side, I've used third party supplicants because the Microsoft suppliant is not that robust for wireless authentication. I would also post this question on one of the Microsoft groups because something might need to be tweaked on the PC.

Reply to
Thrill5

Thanks for the reply. Well after going back the next day with a fresh head, and debugging applied, it all appeared to function as expected?? As you say probably a PC issue more than anything. As much as I hate Windoze the supplicant has been chosen so I've no choice in the matter.

Cheers Bob

Reply to
bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.