Will proxy-arp fix this incorrectly subnetted network?

The remote router doesn't have routes for 172.16.10.0/24 or

172.16.11.0/24, and it doesn't have a default route. How do you expect it to know how to send the return traffic to these addresses without a route pointing back to the local router?

If the local router is the hub of your network, you should probably just set the remote router's default route to point to it.

Reply to
Barry Margolin
Loading thread data ...

Hi Barry,

I actually realized that about 5 minutes after I posted it. So, I feel quite sheepish now! I just wanted to thank you again (and other other respondents in this thread) for all the help you've given. It's been invaluable!

The local router in question isn't at the hub of our network, and in fact very little traffic passes across this T1 -- but, it's still important for us to have it running.

I need to educate myself on routing protocols; we have a whole bunch of static routes here connecting our main office to remote offices; and I'm wondering if there's a more elegant way of doing it. Our setup is very hub-and-spoke, though; remote sites don't have the ability to connect to each other explicitly -- though most remote sites connect to us via VPNs, as opposed to this direct-connect T1; so I guess it's possible for them to be able to connect to each other.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yes, a routing protocol would probably make things easier. For your needs, RIP version 2 would probably be perfectly adequate.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.