Which VPN Method More Secure?

We want to setup a VPN. Of these methods listed listed, which is most secure/stable for running Terminal Server through? Both remote site and local site have Static IPs from ISP. Assume Linksys routers are configured properly. THese routers will be used in combination with a firewall product called Black Ice-though based on recommendation, may be changed.

1. Using Windows 2003 Server as VPN Server by configuring RRAS - No hardward/firewall routers involved.
  2. Using (1) Linksys RV042 router at main site & regular cable router at remote site.
  3. Using (2) Linksys RV042 routers (1 at each site).

I know this is a pretty general question. But some of our remote users will not always have an RV042 Router with Static IP as they may be at home or traveling. The will just have a regular cable/dsl router.

If using these routers, what level of encryption would be recommended?

Thanks

Reply to
melickas
Loading thread data ...

In a commercial, high useage environment run from LinkSys. They are OK for home, but if you value your job---Don't use them. I make more money replacing their products in high useage environments. They cost approx $100 and a real Cisco $3000--there is a reason they cost less.

If most of your clients are MS 2000/XP then the 2003 Server with RRAS is a fine solution. I have used the PPTP VPN with no problem. It's easy to setup and secure. Now I know this will start a flame but ipsec is just overkill and much more complicated.

If the value of your data is immense, then use ipsec with a certificate infrastructure. Otherwise, your wasting money. A SSL VPN may also do the trick.

There is always a trade-off between the value of the data, ease of implementation/maintenance, and cost.

Reply to
Houston SBC

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
melickas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.