VPN method for DLSW over Internet?

I have a need to "bridge" SNA/Netbios traffic between two LAN's over the Internet. What is the minimum method of VPN that will accomplish this?

I know I need to configure DLSW, but before I start figuring out the config syntax, does anyone know if a basic IPSEC VPN will work? Or do I need to use a GRE tunnel to get a virtual Tunnel interface?

The problem is one end of the link will have a dynamic IP, so a basic crypto VPN tunnel would be nice. If I have to step up to GRE+IPSEC to make DLSW work, then I'll need to move up to DMVPN to get dynamic IP support on the remote end. That means my minimum router will need to be something that handles 12.4(T) I think. More $$

The remote end is somebody's house, hence the desire to keep costs down.

Thanks, Robert

Reply to
Robert
Loading thread data ...

A common IPsec VPN will work. I have done this over IPsec using Cisco VPN concentrators and GRE tunnels between Cisco routers. The important part is to have the DLSw circuit run between an IP address on each device which would best be configured on a loopback interface IP address on both devices. Once the VPN connection is established, the loopbacks of each DLSw peer will be accessible to the other, no matter what Internet IP address the VPN tunnel is going across. This would be the case when configuring a lan-to-lan or site-to-site VPN, not a RAS (remote access) VPN that a single host would use.

Will the SNA traffic be used to connect mainframe controllers on one side of a WAN connection to a mainframe on the other side of the connection? If so, consider using SNA switching from the remote router to the mainframe.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

It's for an IBM POS (point of sale) system. We have a single DLSW link in the whole company to our customer which needs this kind of support, but I don't know much about DLSW personally. That one is over a P-P T1. We now have a need to extend this support to somebody's home.

Reply to
Bob

I made a mistake. It will not be SNA traffic, but there will be some Netbios. I'm not sure if I just try to do an L2TP bridge over VPN or if DLSW still works for any-ol bridge traffic. Does it?

These are 4690 IBM POS (cash register) controllers. The SAP addresses I need to transfer are:

Protocol and SAP address in HEX

NetBIOS = F0 RPL = F8 and FC TCC = E8

Can I still use DLSW with this?

-Bob

Reply to
Robert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.