Which routing protocol to use?

Hi

We currently have about 12 branch offices around the city and one central HQ. At the moment, each office is connected to the internet via an ADSL connect and connected to HQ via a VPN, but we're going to be implementing leased lines and create an actual WAN.

The routers we'll be using are Cisco, probably 2811's. Firewalls are Cisco PIX. Each site has about 30 users, their own /24 subnet and their own DC and File/Print server. Exchange boxes are located at HQ only.WAN links would be /30.

What routing protocol is recommended? Since we are using Cisco only, EIGRP seemed to be the option to take, but are there any advantages/disadvantages of using OSPF?

Thanks! SJ

Reply to
smokejo
Loading thread data ...

OSPF supports a concept known as areas that allow a network to scale quite well. EIGRP does not supports areas

For your size of network EIGRP will be fine and is very easily to configure and troubleshoot.

Since your network will be hub and spoke, I would suggest you make use of the EIGRP stub feature - see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Thanks...we are going for a hub and spoke system because leased lines between all sites would be too expensive, and there is also no direct need for a site to have a direct connection with another site, although this also means that if their leased line goes down, they are communicationless.

Are there ways around this?

Reply to
smokejo

For 12 sites doing hub-and-spoke, I'd still be doing static routing. I don't see much need for a dynamic routing protocol in this network configuration unless you feel like learning one.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I'd keep the VPN's up as backup and use statics/costed statics as Doug recomended. No need for a protocol, simple enough network.

Reply to
Brian V

Thanks for the replies...we did consider static routing, but the company (and therefore network) is expected to grow rapidly in the future, so we wanted whatever solution we implemented to be scaleable. What we do know is that the routers we use will always be Cisco, therefore it was a toss up between EIGRP and OSPF.

I think we'll go for EIGRP...thanks again.

SJ

Reply to
smokejo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.