VPN and netbios name

Does either of cisco's VPN refuses authentication based on computer's netbios name? Does it check netbios name against wins or DNS?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
mmccaws
Loading thread data ...

In article , mmccaws wrote: :Does either of cisco's VPN refuses authentication based on computer's :netbios name?

I'm not sure what you mean by "either" of Cisco's VPN ?

: Does it check netbios name against wins or DNS?

I'm not sure of the context, but I think the answer you are looking for is NO, the VPN client does not pass the NETBIOS name for authentication.

I'm not even sure how one -could- check a NETBIOS name against DNS, considering that they serve completely different purposes.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The difficulty lies in that MS ip stack will resolve to WINS if it doesn't resolve at a dns server. And WINS is not domain specific.

So the scenario is you have a user or vendor authenticate to your VPN server. Your network runs WINS. The user has a netbios name that just happens to have the same host name as one of your non netbios servers. Your user's on windows xp and due to the fact that MS IP stack can adjust resolving order at will and with SP updates, it chooses to which ever service is more reliable it's chosen WINS instead of dns. Some of your clients could get timed out on a service they are trying to access because WINS is providing a resolved name which is different than the DNS name. This scenario can happen if you don't properly configure the global profiles DNS options.

Actually what I saw was a lan admin saying that there was a computer responding to ping that had the same name, sheer coincidence, that she was assigning to a new computer. That name she ran into was a given by wins, dns didn't have it. But because winxp ip stack will try wins if it can't resolve it by dns, and that is true when you don't use a fqdn or a host name less than I beleive 15 characters, it use nbns or WINS. So she was using ping and it responded not knowing MS would use wins.

To avoid really unfathomable problems and arguments, it would be nice to have that feature of ensureing no repeated netbios names. Most would argue, why bother AD doesn't need WINS. True, Exchange 2003 does if its going to work with more than one type of client.

Any suggestions.

Walter Robers> > :Does either of cisco's VPN refuses authentication based on

computer's

Reply to
mmccaws

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.