VLSM question please?

Hello-am unsure whether this is valid If I use a class C address and use the first subnet with a /26 mask

> 2nd subnet uses /27 > > 3rd subnet uses /28 > > 4th subnet uses /29 > > > > which if I am correct takes me to .120 > > > > can I then use a /26 address again? taking me to .184 ? > >Or do I have to use /30 from then on? > > TIA
Reply to
daytime
Loading thread data ...

You can use a /26, but it has to start at a multiple of 64, so the available ones are .128/26 and .192/26.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

I understand-is it possible to start off with a /30 address and then work backwards ? example -- /29 /28 /27 /26

0-3 4-11 12-27 28-59 60-124 ?

I am try> >

Reply to
daytime

Yes, that's fine. But that's a /30.

That's not fine. That's a /29 (8 hosts) but it's aligned on a /30 (multiple of 4) boundary. Try 8-15 instead.

That's not fine. That's a /28 aligned on a /30 boundary. Use 16-31

And that's a /27 aligned on a /30 boundary. Use 32-63

That's a /26 aligned on a /30 boundary. Use 64-127

If your subnet size is 2^n then it has to start on a 2^n boundary.

You can carve the space up any way you please as long as you stick to that rule.

There are sixteen ways to carve a /25 up into a /26, a /27, a /28, a /29 and two /30's.

[Where do you want the /26 -- low half 0-63 or high half 64-127? Given that, where do you want the /27 -- low half or high half? Given that, where do you want the /28 -- low half or high half? Given that, where do you want the /29 -- low half or high half? Given that, the remaining space gets split into the two /30's]
Reply to
briggs

Its just clicked now!!

If I start with a /30 then I must use at least 2 subnets (to avoid wastage) before going on to the /29.

Whereas if I start off big -/26 ,I can then "carve up "(nice description) the next subnet.

Many many thanks for clearing that up--I dont work in IT yet ,but in your experience how are subnets usually worked out? Is it Big to Small or vice versa.?

TIA

Reply to
daytime

This may help (there are plenty of similar things around, just that this is the one I made myself).

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Thanks alot for that-very easy to understand. Will be using it for along time to come !

Reply to
daytime

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.