Tunnel trafic in a MPLS , 1 Gigabit connection

Hei

Can anybody help me, I want to tunnel my traffic in a MPLS, it's to expensive to get dynamic routing running inside the MPLS. My connection is 1 Gigabit in both ends. I have tryed to set up a tunnel interface in 2 3560 switches, but the load , cpu, is to heavy. 100 % with only 15 Mbit traffic.... Any help would be nice..

Bjarne

Reply to
Bjarne
Loading thread data ...

are packets being fragmented which must be done by CPU ???

show ip traffic

Reply to
Merv

The packets are being fragmented, I have som traffic that goes dead if it dont get full mtu..

"Merv" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bjarne

meddelelsenews: snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

derea

Reply to
Merv

get full mtu.

well if you want to use tunnels with high volume traffic you can not have any significant amount of fragmentation

you will need to get the app that gnerates the traffic requiring full MTU ( I assume this to be 1500) changed or not use tunnels

Reply to
Merv

I was afraid of that answer, no other solution , in one end the tunnel is made in my catalyst 6509 with a MSFC2 module. It seems to running ok without the big cpu load. What if I change the 3560 with a router 2821 or faster, but which can handle that cpu load ??

"Merv" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bjarne

Getting rid of fragmentation for TCP packets is a trivial task - "ip tcp adjust-mss " on both ends will take care about it. GRE tunnel at

1Gbps speed is not that easy. You will need either box with hardware GRE support (6500 with Supervisor 720) or something able to handle 1Gbps GRE in CPU.

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

What do you mean by "it's too expensive to get dynamic routing running inside the MPLS"? I have never run into any carrier that charges extra fees for routing, because without routing MPLS is worthless.

If your MPLS network has only has two connections why not use static routing on both ends? Not optimal, but you wouldn't need to worry about fragmentation because of the tunnel. Your other option is to see if the carrier supports large packets (most carriers support this without charge and is sometimes enabled by default). With large packet support, fragmentation also becomes a non issue. Another solution is to run BGP between both ends of the connections (BGP does not require the two routers to be directly connected) and eliminate the tunnel. Fragmentation is always done in software and if most of your traffic is 1500 bytes, you will never get anywhere near 1Gb/s of traffic with any platform. If most of large packets are between only a few hosts you can set the MTU on those devices to

1400 bytes so that traffic is not fragmented. This is much more efficient that using the default 1500 byte MTU with fragmentation enabled.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.