Throttling Throughput

Hi,

I have a Cisco PIX 515e, we use this firewall for Internet traffic and for VPN's to other 515e's. We used to have a 501 but we got the 515 in order to give us a greater throughput over the VPN. This has been achived but it's getting expensive to shove data over the VPN.

Is there anyway that I can throttle the throughput over the VPN? is it also possible to do this for general internet traffic too?

regards Paul Roberts.

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

PIX 7.x supports Qos; PIX 6.x does not.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Is it straight forward to upgrade from 6.3(4) to 7?

Reply to
Bob

In a word: NO.

The new PIX version should rewrite a lot of your old configuration automatically, but the structure of inspections in particular is sufficiently different that you will need time to understand the new configuration. Cisco says that it should be "seemless", but I wouldn't do a production machine without having first upgraded a lab-bench machine.

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thank you Walter for responding.

So there is no other way to cap the internet traffic?

Reply to
Bob

PIX 6 offers no facilities at all to do traffic control. The closest is limits on the number of simultaneous connections, on the static command.

PIX 7 does, but the differences in configuration are enough that I personally wouldn't risk a drop-in upgrade on any business device (maybe if I had a long weekend to implement it over...) Maybe the upgrade would go great -- but networking doesn't run on wishes. (It runs on "magic smoke". And if you don't understand, google that phrase.)

Your router might have some kind of limit controls.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The 515 is a recent replacement of a 501 with the same config, so I am safe in just putting the 501 back in, then running the upgrade on the

515 without disruption to the network.

I have no control over our router but I have asked our ISP who support it, if they can cap it.

Where can I download 7 from?

What command do I need to issue to cap the traffic?

Love the Magic Smoke theory!

Paul.

Reply to
Bob

Hi all.

I want to know the configuration commands on Cisco router 3640 for PPP

-CHAP authentication between the Cisco 3640 and non-Cisco device.

Above devices are connected back to back over V.35 interface.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Santosh Hiremath

Reply to
santosh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.