Switch Autoconfiguration

hello NG,

I am trying to set up a switch (3500XL) by autoconfiguration (2 file method) I followed the instructions given by cisco, set up a DHCP, TFTP Server, configured the network-confg and the switch-confg. If I do not use IP reservation for the switch, a discover is detected followed by an offer and everything is fine, at least the switch downloads it´s config file. But typically one wants to give a switch a defined IP Address and will create a reservation within DHCP. I used the base mac address of the switch but the DHCP Server did not offer the reservation I made and nothing happened. If theres no reservation the Switch register himself in the DHCP with an UID greater 40 digits ??? Is this normal ? How do I obtain the UID of the switch in advance for a DHCP reservation ?

Thx for any help

Michael

Reply to
Michael Müller
Loading thread data ...

A question about the the IP address you wish DHCP to assign to the switch. Is it part of the DHCP scope and properly configured to be reserved for the switch? I typically see this issue when an address is reserved, but the admin did not include the address as part of the DHCP scope.

HTH Jeff

Reply to
brickwalls19

A question about the the IP address you wish DHCP to assign to the switch. Is it part of the DHCP scope and properly configured to be reserved for the switch? I typically see this issue when an address is reserved, but the admin did not include the address as part of the DHCP scope.

HTH Jeff

hi Jeff,

yes, I set up a test dhcp server with just one scope and the IP address is part of it. Meanwhile I tried the same thing with an 2948G and it works.... I sniffed the network, there´s a dhcp discover with the base mac adress. but unfortunately that´s all. no offer is detected...

Michael

Reply to
Michael Müller

snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Sorry to hear. I won't be able to help you much at this point. I've never set my switches to use DHCP to get their IP addresses, therefore won't be able to provide any more insight.

If you find a resolution, please post it.

Reply to
brickwalls19

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.