STOPPING DNS LOOKUPS AT CLI

is there any way to effective stop domain looksups of mistyped commands ?

if i use no ip domain lookup, than my traceroutes will be effected...

however it is really annoying to mistype something and have to wait beause its looking up dns

any ideas?

Reply to
christian koch
Loading thread data ...

How about:-

formatting link
"Note: You can also use the transport preferred none command on the vty/con/aux lines to prevent the router from attempting to resolve an invalid command into an IP address. The DNS information is available in the output of other commands. However, when you have to initiate a telnet session from the router, place the telnet keyword before the hostname, since the router does not telnet automatically when you type a hostname. Remember to add the ip name-server command to specify the address of the name server."

I haven't tried this but it looks promising.

Reply to
Bod43

'no ip domain lookup'

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

formatting link

Reply to
christian koch

read my post again, i do not want to use no ip domain lookup because than i will not be able to resolve traceroutes and thats not an option in my environment

Thrill5 wrote:

Reply to
christian koch

christian koch a écrit :

If you don't want to use the command suggested by bod43, you can use the command:

ip domain name example.com (of course, example.com should match your DNS's domain name)

Any command typed at the cli with a typo will be looked up with the domain name appended to it, and it should return very quickly with an error.

By default, the domain lookup will be tried twice and will time-out after 3 seconds each time. You can change those parameters by using the following commands, if your IOS support it:

ip domain retry x (default x=2, introduced in 12.1.3T) ip domain timeout x (default x=3, introduced in 12.3)

Reply to
Francois Labreque

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.