Since the PIX 520 is a just a PII PC....

I opened up a PIX 520 firewall we had laying around our company and it appears to be a regular old Intel Pentium II box. One DIMM of RAM, two PCI cards (Firmware/boot and Intel Ethernet) and a single ISA card for the serial/console access.

I had a question about..... upgrading it. If I were to remove all three of the pertinent cards and put them in a more powerful Intel P3 or P4 PC, would it work?

-Bob

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

In article , Bob wrote: :I opened up a PIX 520 firewall we had laying around our company and it :appears to be a regular old Intel Pentium II box.

:I had a question about..... upgrading it. If I were to remove all :three of the pertinent cards and put them in a more powerful Intel P3 :or P4 PC, would it work?

Probably not, but you should google for 'frankenpix' to see what others have been able to achieve. Upgrades -are- generally possible, but there are limits.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

You can only upgrade the memory and the processor. And only to a slot 1 CPU. It will not work with any other hardware than the board in the PIX 520. Wich is a standard Intel motherboard.

You can upgrade the flashcard to a 16MB model. This card can handle PIX IOS up to version 6.3.4.

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.