Setup for Cisco Aironet 1131ag

Hello all,

I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going. Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance.

I am running several Mac laptops and PCs. I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP with no luck.

Reply to
James Ellis
Loading thread data ...

Have you read the quick start and installation guides?

formatting link
Yes, the AP should be able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from your Netopia router.

If this device is used, it may not be setup to aquire things via DHCP, and you'll probably have to hookup over a console port and do password recovery.

Cisco's aren't the easiest things to setup, they are more akin to a box of tools, rather than a single purpose built item, and thus can do quitealot, but you have to learn how to use the tool first. It will then let you setup things quite advanced that the single-purpose built item never imagined, but you have to know how to get there first, not coast and do the advanced stuff later.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for the info. I am working to figure this thing out.

Reply to
James Ellis

~ On Oct 8, 11:25 am, Doug McIntyre wrote: ~ > James Ellis writes: ~ > >I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out ~ > >doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going. ~ > >Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance. ~ > >I am running several Mac laptops and PCs. ~ > >I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router ~ > >will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP ~ > >with no luck. ~ >

~ > Have you read the quick start and installation guides? ~ >

~ >

formatting link
>

~ > Yes, the AP should be able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from your ~ > Netopia router. ~ >

~ > If this device is used, it may not be setup to aquire things via DHCP, ~ > and you'll probably have to hookup over a console port and do password ~ > recovery. ~ >

~ > Cisco's aren't the easiest things to setup, they are more akin to a ~ > box of tools, rather than a single purpose built item, and thus can ~ > do quitealot, but you have to learn how to use the tool first. It will ~ > then let you setup things quite advanced that the single-purpose built ~ > item never imagined, but you have to know how to get there first, not ~ > coast and do the advanced stuff later. ~ ~ Thanks for the info. I am working to figure this thing out.

Here's a basic config that should work for you (assuming that you are starting with factory defaults):

dot11 ssid BOOF authentication open authentication key-management wpa guest-mode wpa-psk ascii 0 BOOFBOOF

interface Dot11Radio0 encryption mode ciphers aes tkip station-role root ssid BOOF channel no shutdown

interface Dot11Radio1 channel (rest a la Dot11Radio0)

interface BVI1 ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0

For , pick one of 1, 6, 11, according to which is least used in your location.

For , I'd probably pick 149 or 153, unless I had a reason to pick something different.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Thanks man this helps! but my netopia will not assign my AP a IP address.

Reply to
James Ellis

~ On Oct 12, 12:16 pm, Aaron Leonard wrote: ~ > ~ On Oct 8, 11:25 am, Doug McIntyre wrote: ~ > ~ > James Ellis writes: ~ > ~ > >I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out ~ > ~ > >doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going. ~ > ~ > >Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance. ~ > ~ > >I am running several Mac laptops and PCs. ~ > ~ > >I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router ~ > ~ > >will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP ~ > ~ > >with no luck. ~ > ~ >

~ > ~ > Have you read the quick start and installation guides? ~ > ~ >

~ > ~ >

formatting link
> ~ >

~ > ~ > Yes, the AP should be able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from your ~ > ~ > Netopia router. ~ > ~ >

~ > ~ > If this device is used, it may not be setup to aquire things via DHCP, ~ > ~ > and you'll probably have to hookup over a console port and do password ~ > ~ > recovery. ~ > ~ >

~ > ~ > Cisco's aren't the easiest things to setup, they are more akin to a ~ > ~ > box of tools, rather than a single purpose built item, and thus can ~ > ~ > do quitealot, but you have to learn how to use the tool first. It will ~ > ~ > then let you setup things quite advanced that the single-purpose built ~ > ~ > item never imagined, but you have to know how to get there first, not ~ > ~ > coast and do the advanced stuff later. ~ > ~ ~ > ~ Thanks for the info. I am working to figure this thing out. ~ >

~ > Here's a basic config that should work for you (assuming that you ~ > are starting with factory defaults): ~ >

~ > dot11 ssid BOOF ~ >    authentication open ~ >    authentication key-management wpa ~ >    guest-mode ~ >    wpa-psk ascii 0 BOOFBOOF ~ >

~ > interface Dot11Radio0 ~ >  encryption mode ciphers aes tkip ~ >  station-role root ~ >  ssid BOOF ~ >  channel ~ >  no shutdown ~ >

~ > interface Dot11Radio1 ~ >  channel ~ >  (rest a la Dot11Radio0) ~ >

~ > interface BVI1 ~ >  ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0 ~ >

~ > For , pick one of 1, 6, 11, according to which is least used in ~ > your location. ~ >

~ > For , I'd probably pick 149 or 153, unless I had a reason to ~ > pick something different. ~ >

~ > Cheers, ~ >

~ > Aaron ~ ~ Thanks man this helps! but my netopia will not assign my AP a IP ~ address.

I wonder why not?

On the AP side, you can do this (from the console):

ap#debug dhcp ap#conf t ap(config)#int bvi1 ap(config-if)#shut ap(config-if)#no shut

This will cause the AP to request a new DHCP lease.

If the AP is sending its DHCP Discover to your DHCP server, but if the DHCP server isn't replying, then the next step would be to run debugs on the DHCP server to find out why it's not working.

Oh some other things to check:

- check good ole layer 1. On the AP, do a "show int Fast0" and make sure that it's UP/UP.

- assuming that you LAN link has link status, you could try manually giving the AP an unused IP addr from the router's LAN interface's subnet, and see if AP and router can ping each other.

Hth,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Hello Aaron, The problem is I can not get connected to the AP. So I have no console access.

Reply to
James Ellis

Okay stepping back quite a ways here.

Cisco gear first and foremost depends on a serial console port that is built into every box, and has since forever. Any other management techniques like web gui, telnet, ssh, etc. are secondary. If things aren't working (because I'm assuming this is a used box, not setup with factory default so the easy startup docs aren't right), you will

*need* to use a serial console.

If things aren't factory default, and aren't popping up for you, you need to be on the system serial console to debug and troubleshoot the issue, as this is the primary system connection. There's no return box to factory settings button, cisco's aren't built that way.

You will need to get a blue cisco console cable (if it was new, it comes with one, if used, you might have to make or obtain one, sounds like you should spend the $5 on eBay to get one). You will also need a serial port on your computer. If your computer doesn't have a serial port, like many that don't, you will need a USB to serial dongle adapter. Any will do that has the correct drivers for your OS that you run, although I recommend Keyspan as being a rock solid one.

On the 1131AG, the console port is right next to the ethernet port under the sliding top cover, and is ringed in blue. You plug the console cable in, and runup a terminal emulation program such as hyperterm against that USB COM port using 9600 baud, No parity, 1 stop bit.

Power on the AP, and you should see ROMMON doing a power-on-self-test of the system, and then start booting IOS. Eventually you should be at a prompt where you can do the things that Aaron and others have asked you to check.

Sorry, there really is no other way to do things, this is the way Cisco boxes have worked since the start. After this, you will have access on the console and can do the commands being asked.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

This is exactly what I was thinking just have to come up with one of those cables. Thanks Again

Reply to
James Ellis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.