rookie: VLAN routing

I am in class (CCNA 4), and we are setting up a multi platform network. I don't know if I should try (again) to put each group on different subnets or use VLANs. I need all hosts to be able to communicate with each other, but just setting up the routers, IP addresses and using the switch as a hub doesn't seem very "exciting" to me.

I have 2 connected 1700 routers, each attached a 2950 switch. If I want to configure VLANs on the switches can I still communicate BETWEEN VLANs? If so, what exactly do I need to do? Can/should I set up the 2 switches as VTP Server/Client, and will all hosts still be able to communicate?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Cisco community!!

John

Reply to
johnny8336
Loading thread data ...

With the hardware you have i believe you will need to setup the vlans on the router, and use that as the default gateway. If the router has multiple ethernet ports you can assign different vlans to different eth ports and then connect those ports to the 2950 switch. Then on the

2950 change the switchport access vlan cmd to match the routers vlan on the uplink port. I dont believe a 2950 has an ip routing feature, thats why you have to use the router for the vlans as well as the switch. If you had a routing switch, you could use that as the default gateway, setup vtp and push out vlans that way. But since you dont, the only option i see would be to use the 1700. If both vlans are configured on that device and setup the way explained above the two vlans will be able to talk to each other. I hope this explanation made sense.
Reply to
jason.polce

Yes that will work. And if you want to avoid using multiple ethernet ports, create sub-ints on the router and trunk them over to the switches that way.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.