Question about PIX 515E setup

I am new at setting up the PIX and have a real basic question that I hope someone will be kind enough to help with.

I have a client that currently has a T1 with an Adtran router that is forwarding global ip's to natted ip TS clients on the inside. Can the PIX 515E be put in-between the Adtran and the LAN and setup to "pass through" the TS client requests without changing the Adtran? Any setup recommendations? Resources for configuration examples?

I appreciate any guidance.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

If you have PIX 7.x installed, you can use the PIX 515E as a "layer 2 transparent firewall", which would satisfy the literal requirements to not change the Adtran.

In your client's situation, would it be practical to add a single route statement to the Adtran, or does the Adtran listen for RIP or OSPF information from the inside? If so, then layer 3 possibilities open up. (There might be a way without changing the routing, but I haven't quite woken up yet to think of it.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter

Thanks for the quick response. I was just posting a message to say I discovered the transparent option and I saw your reply recommending the same thing. I guess I also needed to wake-up a bit before I bothered anyone. I am still learning and probably always will be. My client is a "hard-headed" young (nothing against young) "IT" guy for a small company and is against changing anything on the Adtran. I agree that the single route would probably be a better approach but I really don't want to give this guy any reason to b**ch.

Again, thanks for the quick response and I appreciate all your contributions to the group. When I see your name as the author, I always read carefully as I value what you have to say.

p.s. i'm not brown-nosing, i just appreciate good, trustworthy knowledge.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.