Query regarding frame relay CIR

Hi,

I have a frame relay link driven by a Cisco 2620 router. I am paying the carrier company for a CIR of 1.5 Mbps. Most of the times I find the link to be slow, however on the router console, I do not see traffic crossing about 500 kbps. How do I know whether the carrier has really configured the CIR of 1.5 Mbps for me ? Is there a 'show' command that tells you the CIR of your frame relay PVC ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Reply to
Sparky
Loading thread data ...

Show frame pvc

Are you seeing BECNs, how about DE packets?

Call your carrier, ask them to confirm the PVC settings... tell them you want to put a big ping and see if they are seeing discards or DE frames.

In all likelihood, there is a FRATM that is configured incorrectly in their network (especially if it is going thru Wiltel)

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I do not see any BECNs. That's exactly what puzzled me. No DEs either.

I am certainly going to escalate this to the carrier; just thought of doing my own investigations first.

Thanks for the help.

Sparky

Reply to
Sparky

Jonathan,

Should it be transparent or translated ?

=========================================== >In all likelihood, there is a FRATM that is configured incorrectly in their

Reply to
X--Eliminator

Frame to ATM to Frame should be translated.

ATM to ATM should be transparent.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Since your CIR equals your access rate, you really don't need to do any traffic shaping, so...

Ask your carrier if they are seeing red or amber frames (if their switches are Lucent) and ask them if graceful discard is on or off... any of this would indicate they are choking you off.

Also have them pull the PM stats for the switch. Do the same on your router (show service-module serial 0/0)....

Also ask them if they are taking overhead into account. ATM needs about 20% overhead for the PVC, so a T1 should be set to a PCR of about 4500 cells per second.

You don't need to escalate, you need to get an engineer who knows what the switches are doing. Any tier I engineer at your telco should be able to help you.

Then again, that may be the problem. Are you calling your telco or are you calling your data support group at telco? Cuz those old telco guys have no idea what is going on beyond the HDSL span (a ckt with just LMI going back and forth looks the same to them as a fully loaded DS1).

Who is your carrier?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.