QoS by time?

Is it possible to put together a service-policy which allows SNMP access only every 5 minutes or so? I want to limit SNMP access to a router such that it will respond normally to SNMP requests as long as they are not more frequent than, say, 5 minutes. Two SNMP requests in less than 5 minutes...denied!

Thanks, folks!!

Reply to
Paul Thompson
Loading thread data ...

check whether the router in question supports control plane policing

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

The router does support CPP but what I've been able to research seems to point only to policing and shaping but nothing based on time segments.

Reply to
Paul Thompson

If you post what you are trying to accomplish by limiting SNMP traffic to one poll every 5 minutes I'm sure someone here can help you out. I'm probably like everyone else who has read this post, can't imagine why you would want to do this other than to keep the device from being impacted by continuous polling which can be prevented, as the previous poster indicated, by doing CPP.

FYI, SNMP is UDP, and when you poll a device for statistics, you often poll several MIB counters (can be anywhere from 1 to 30 or 40 counters per interface) depending on the interface type and what statistics you are gathering. MIB polling is pretty efficient I have seen only a couple of instances where polling a device can cause an issue. The last time I experience a problem was about 10 years ago on a 2500 series router platform.

Reply to
Thrill5

Actually, you'd be surprised what customers will try to poll from routers.

Here's a scenario then. We provide SNMP polling access to customers who use our routers. Customers agree that they will only poll the routers every hour or so for statistics purposes. But we have seen situations where the customer is polling the router every 30 seconds with a variety of MIBs, including routing table dumps. While we cannot contractually limit this (God only knows why?) we can enforce a minimum period in between polls. What I have read so far is that I can limit SNMP bandwidth usage but not based on a time interval.

I hope I've been more clear on this ugly scenario. Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Reply to
Paul Thompson

You might want to investigate using SNMPv3 and create views for each customer to control which MIB variables they can access i.e. to prevent them from dumping routing table.

You may also want to contact SNMP Research

formatting link
to see if they have any solutions for your issue.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.