Pool Manager uses 40% of CPU

Hello all,

I have a problem with the CPU utilization on my Cisco 7206VXR router. The 'Pool Manager' process is consistently using about 40% of the CPU. I cannot really figure out what is using this process. I did a bug search for IOS 12.2(17a), but cannot find anything. Does anybody have an idea what this specific process is being used for ? It might be useful to know that I am running a number of IPX tunnels on the router that shows the high CPU utilization due to the Pool Manager process. Thanks for your help in advance.

Naz

Reply to
pauwen
Loading thread data ...

Cisco have some nice docs now for Troubleshooting High CPU.

formatting link

"Pool Manager Manager process for managing growth and discarding requests from dynamic pools at the interrupt level"

This is a shot in the dark and may not be helpful however check out the buffers. Perhaps you do not have enough of something and that in itself is increasing the CPU.

If you like post sh buffers sh proc cpu | inc pool manager sh mem ! < -- first few lines only. sh proc cpu ! < -- first few lines only.

I now do not hesitate to increase buffers manually to prevent misses and failures provided that there is SUFFICIENT MEMORY if I suspect that a router is under any kind of stress and shows significant misses or failures.

My view is that the IOS memory-miser buffer tuning is not really any longer always appropriate.

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
Says:-

Hello,

great, thanks for the tips. One thing I noticed is that when the CPU is high, the huge buffers pool is completely exhausted. Could the depletion of the huge buffers pool, the Pool Manager process, and the high CPU be related ?

Thanks in advance again for your help.

Regards,

GP

Reply to
pauwen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.