Pix remote IP change

How can I change the IP address on a Pix outside interface from a remote location?

Problem: Once I change either the IP or the default gateway I lose connectivity to the pix.

Basically is there a way to combine the IP and gateway change so that once I change it I can just have someone move a wire from the old (DSL) to the new (Cable) connection?

-Jason

Reply to
jbloven
Loading thread data ...

AFAIK no. Use a dial-up connection from a PC that is conected through the console cable to the PIX. Then take the control of the PIX through the dialup.

Alex.

Reply to
AM

Shooting from the hip here...

1. Add a host route or network route to the client IP address from which you are managing the PIX. Point this route through the new ISP gateway address.

This route should have no effect until the IP address change is made.

1. Change the interface IP

The route you added is now in effect. But the changed IP address has the effect of tearing down your management session.

1. Re-establish your management session.

This will use the route you have added.

1. Change the default gateway.

1. Remove the specific return route you added in step 1.

2. Test thoroughly before saving to NVRAM

Since you'll have someone on site to swap cables, you should be able to power cycle the equipment and recover from any missteps.

Reply to
briggs

1. copy running-config tftp://...
  2. edit config
  3. copy tftp://... startup-config
  4. reboot
  5. pray
Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

That's PIX 7 syntax, but there is the PIX 5/6 equivilent.

Unfortunately that step won't work with PIX 4/5/6 -- you cannot copy directly to the startup configuration, only merge into the running configuration. PIX 7 offers additional alternatives.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

In this case: Just do it! Prepare a file with the necessary changes:

ip address outside new.add.re.ss ne.t.ma.sk no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 old.ga.te.way ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 new.ga.te.way end

The "end" is important, because a TFTP loaded config is only assumed to be complete if it terminates with this word.

After the complete config is downloaded, it is applied line by line to the running config. In this way you can apply multiple commands "at once".

HTH

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

No, not in PIX 4/5/6: each command is applied as soon as it is fully read in from the tftp server. The tftp server transfers 512 bytes at a time (not adjustable -- this is a property of tftp), so you can have the commands applied as a group only if you are *sure* that they are in the same 512 byte block.

PIX 4/5/6 do no look for "end". tftp has its own mechanism to signal end-of-file: by definition in tftp, if the tftp file payload size is less than 512 then that block is the last one of the transfer.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.