PIX 501 Issue

I have a PIX 501,IOS v6.3. I had to make some changes to the network last week and in the process, disconnected the PIX from the network. Upon reconnecting it (No changes were made to the config), it now hangs up from time to time, does not allow traffic in or out, had to be power cycled to cure the problem. This is not a huge deal, but I would rather not have to reboot my firewall twice a day. Also, while the PIX is hung up, it is pingable (if that helps)

I had a similar problem with a Linksys router at home, and cloning the MAC address from the ISP's modem fixed the problem. My network's Internet feed is cable and is from the same ISP that I have at home, so could this be a possible fix? Is there a way to clone a MAC on a PIX?

Reply to
Pappy
Loading thread data ...

The PIX 501 has a cruddy power connector, if you moved the 501 around at all when you were disconnecting / reconnecting to the network, then you could have disturbed the connector location and now be paying the price.

Yes, if the power connector on the 501 is not sitting in "just right", then you *can* get symptoms exactly like you are seeing. It's happened at my workplace.

My co-worker went at the power connector with some cable ties (wrapped right around the PIX 501) and made sure that the connector wasn't going to move without notable force; that helped!.

Another issue is that the PIX 501 can be heat-sensitive; make sure there is resonable ventilation around it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I originally thought that this may be the problem, because the room where the PIX is located can get hot. After it happened the first time, I rigged up a fan to blow cold air from the AC vent at the PIX. Obviously, that didn't work, but I am going to try and wrap a zip tie around the power connector.

So even if the PIX has power to it (it is pingable), the power connector will cause it to stop transmitting?

Reply to
Pappy

It could be just rebooting over and over again?

I've had that happen to a couple 501's with the power plug ever so loose. They'd sit there and reboot over and over again. Lights look ok, always have link, but the box is busy rebooting and not passing traffic.

It really is a bad design. :(

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Sadly, yes :(

Reply to
Walter Roberson

OK... So the zip ties didn't work, and the firewall had to be rebooted twice last night. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Reply to
Pappy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.